Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser dot issue

WeiHan

So in conclusion, its basically inherent to almost all lasers? I don't really get it on my 445 laser though... Do you guys think thats because my 445 is a better quality laser?

WeiHan

This is a Sharp diode and is listed as a 505nm, not 520nm. You can eliminate the artifact using the 520nm AR coated 2 element lens from DTR. Other lenses may also remove it. You might try the acrylic lens that comes with many modules as that has worked at times for me. Also, this diode tends to measure on the high side of the wavelength. A bit closer to 510nm.
Ok sure thanks! Are these diodes known for having bad rectangular artifact issues? Also, whats the power of that diode?

GSS

Ok sure thanks! Are these diodes known for having bad rectangular artifact issues? Also, whats the power of that diode?
I believe so. There is a thread about your diode and a few other new ones new released ones having the artifact.
Paul1689419, has posted on it so try to find it through his postings. I will try also to find the thread when I can..

kecked

I don’t think it would fit in a pointer but you can use a spatial filter to clean up diodes. Essentially two lenses with a pinhole at the focus point between the lenses. It only lets the core of the diode pass and trims off the garbage. It also circularizes the beam.

They show odd lenses. Any two lenses will work. I make my pinholes by letting the laser burn it’s own hole in a guitar pick. The smaller the better. You can drill them with a laser cutter too.

Yes, all these sharp diodes have that artifact. You should be able to get over 100 mW of output power at 275 mA. The artifact can be removed by using one of a few different lenses. I would start by trying the acrylic lens that comes with almost every AixiZ type module. You can also use the 520nm AR coated 2 element lens offer by DTR. The DTR G8 may also give some relief. You'll just have to try.