Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

green laser and airport security

can green lasers such as the alpha 105 get through air port security and if they can is it safe for them to go through the x rays?

thank you
michael

S

SenKat

Michael -

What I have done is put it DEEP within the luggage that is checked, so it is well cusioned from impact, and REMOVE THE BATTS ! :) IT would be horrible to have batteries pop open at high altitude :(

ya I wouldn’t want to be on cnn to begin with : ) I was just wondering because I am going to go visit family in Colorado and I wanted to test it out up in the mountains and I just wanted to make sure it was safe to go through x-rays and hopefully the luggage

Thank you for you replies
Michael

ixfd64

Well, I was able to take my "Core" through airport security when we (my family and I) went to Colorado this August. However, I'm not sure about larger lasers, though.

Since lasers are still relatively uncommon, the TSA hasn't really defined any rules about bringing them aboard aircraft.

Last edited:
I travel frequently with my RPL and never had an issue. It's always packed in a case with other AV gear. If ever asked for explanation, it's a microphone. NEVER pack this stuff in your checked bags. If your checked bags are searched it can be taken without explanation. Always remove batteries. In the case of my RPL, it's bare (unpainted) and completely naked with no labels on it whatsoever.

TSA is really slacking anyways. Story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/14/gao.airport.security/index.html

Actually it does not surprise me in the least. I just came back into the country in Miami and customs was more thorough than TSA at MIA airport! All my bags went through the scanner and I was not asked to open ONE! And believe me I have a lot of stuff that could be used to do mischievous things if I wanted to.

Benm

I'd be careful about taking lasers in your hand luggage. They are not in any way illegal to bring on board, but i doub't airport staff actually knows what they are (especially the bigger cased items like an RPL).

They might deny you bringing it on board for the sole reason they cannot determine it's safe on an airplane or not.

I'd say a pen laser pointer is a pen laser pointer, and as long as the batteries are out (and thus it can't be turned on), it will be hard to distinguish a 2mW from a 125mW (well, sorta). But a herc, dunno, sounds too risky for me.

steve001 said:
Why don't you call the airports and ask them directly ?

Because if they're not consistant, the risk is different with each individual TSA person working at any given time. I flew from PNS to SFO no problem with 2-3 lasers on my person... From SFO to home... Nope. They almost confiscated them. "Just put it in your bag and don't take it out." Sure I'm greatful I didn't get it taken, but geez, wtf...

Benm

philguy said:
But a herc, dunno, sounds too risky for me.

With the larger lasers there is the additional problem of them looking like something you could use to club someones head in. I doub't they'd allow you to bring anything like that (such as a maglite) on board nowadays.

Benm said:
[quote author=philguy link=1195091462/0#9 date=1195166274]
But a herc, dunno, sounds too risky for me.

With the larger lasers there is the additional problem of them looking like something you could use to club someones head in. I doub't they'd allow you to bring anything like that (such as a maglite) on board nowadays.
[/quote]

Review the list of approved and non approved items on the TSA website. Thinking that way practically everything allowed should be banned. If I threw my notebook battery at someone it could kill them! ;D Of course if you have an RPL/Hercules with labels in place and wires coming out the tail cap (Hercules) that's begging for a probing by TSA as it looks like a hot item. (IED) Use common sense (because most TSA have none hehe) and you should be fine.

Speaking of large flashlights I had a Microfire Warrior 3500 HID in my carry on as well. No problems. ;D