Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Great reading on laser diodes

I recently stumbled upon this. Great source of in depth information about these little photon amplifiers we all know and love.

Created by the manufacturer of the equipment that slice/dice the semiconductor material that forms the optical cavity/gain medium

Giannis_TDM

I recently stumbled upon this. Great source of in depth information about these little photon amplifiers we all know and love.

Created by the manufacturer of the equipment that slice/dice the semiconductor material that forms the optical cavity/gain medium

I agree, Nice little pack of well-written info!

Yes, it is. For me it didn’t dive too far into the weeds that the information was overwhelming but it also wasn’t simplified to the point of losing interest.

Failure mechanisms was my favorite part. I betting that anyone who has been around here for a while has a whole pile of dead diodes.

I recently bought a inexpensive (below $200) digital microscope for SMD soldering. You know, the ones with the built in display.

I really wasn’t expecting the image quality to be as good as it is. Decided to look at my dead diodes I’ve accumulated over the last 15 years.

For a few, I could actually see output facet damage, one in particular, a 405nm BDR 209 showed part of the facet cracked off and hanging on by what might be a super thin passivation layer.

The majority showed melted gold bond wires. I pushed ‘em too hard and too long.

Eventually, I’d like to make a thread with the images. It’s really interesting.

Some interesting information in there. Thanks for posting it.

Barthchris; Sometime you should definitely make a thread with the images of the diode falures. I'd find that interesting. Also good to add to the community info.