Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Great 18650 Batts

One downside that I see is that it is recommended that you only charge the NCR18650A at rates at or below 0.885A.

There are a lot of good things about this cell, though. I like the added capacity without the higher termination voltage, but I don't like how some of the capacity comes from discharging it lower than what is standard practice. but if you use a standard protection circuit, it will be very conservative and no worrying about overdischarging the cell.

Why in your opinion 885mA charge rate is downside?

Cheers

Last edited:

Only because other cells' maximum recommended charging currents are much higher. Most premade chargers don't even charge that fast to begin with, so most would not notice any change. In the end, people here would see no negative, and only the positive of the increased capacity. However, those who charge their own cells with a power supply need to know that they ought not use the typical 0.5C rule for these.

Only because other cells' maximum recommended charging currents are much higher. Most premade chargers don't even charge that fast to begin with, so most would not notice any change. In the end, people here would see no negative, and only the positive of the increased capacity. However, those who charge their own cells with a power supply need to know that they ought not use the typical 0.5C rule for these.

Then probably you can help me to find out which li-ion 18650 cell is recommended from manufacturer to be charged at 1000mAh ?

Please include mAh of that cell/s so I can find it easier.

I am asking this because I do have chargers that provide 1A per channel.

There are quite a variety of cells that can be charged at >1A. I have some old Sanyo 2600mAh standard LiCo cells (UR18650F) that can be charged at 1.7A. In fact, it looks like the older ncrs were still capable of high current charging. In their datasheets, the charging conditions used were 1.9A. I don't think the difference in max. charging currents relates to the Heat Resistant Layer feature, since that feature is mentioned in the 2900mAh version's datasheet.

I wonder if perhaps those datasheets for the ncr18650a are incorrect or typo'd... What could have changed that would drop the maximum safe charging current so drastically?

As I said earlier, this is the only downside I can find, and to be honest, that's not really all that bad.

Last edited:
There are quite a variety of cells that can be charged at >1A. I have some old Sanyo 2600mAh standard LiCo cells (UR18650F) that can be charged at 1.7A. In fact, it looks like the older ncrs were still capable of high current charging. In their datasheets, the charging conditions used were 1.9A. I don't think the difference in max. charging currents relates to the Heat Resistant Layer feature, since that feature is mentioned in the 2900mAh version's datasheet.

I wonder if perhaps those datasheets for the ncr18650a are incorrect or typo'd... What could have changed that would drop the maximum safe charging current so drastically?

As I said earlier, this is the only downside I can find, and to be honest, that's not really all that bad.

You know about li-on, that is great.

Here we go

Sanyo (now under Panasonic) are great cells (Xtar, Soshine using them for their protected version of 18650).
Still selling Sanyo UR18650W2 18A max discharge to people and businesses who needs high current cells.

Since I am a seller, for me is very important "more mAh - better product", so I cannot use older cells with lower mAh - it simply doesn't work with customer who mostly looking for higher capacity . To explain to customer that Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh will give more juice (it depends of application used) than 3100mAh version would take a long time.

Another problem with higher charge rates: most of mainstream li-ion chargers did not provide more than 600-700mA. So user couldn't take advantage of faster charging.

That is not a case anymore: Xtar, and Soshine chargers have newest models with 1A per channel.

Now about NCR18650A :
This Panasonic 3100mAh cell (and 2900mAh version) can be charged easily at 1.5A , up to 4.25V without any problem. 1C rate is no stranger for 3100mAh version as well. Can be discharged lower than 2.5V (all the way to 2.1V) without problems.
Those are basic reasons why I will always go for this cell- until new front runner appears on the market. I personally do not care if it is Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, or Samsung as long as it has best characteristics.

Why Panasonic decided to show that charging rate only they know. IMO that is an ideal charging rate if you don't want your cell to degrade faster.

If you are interested I can email you a document with all details including those that you were concern about . It is not for public use.

Cheers

Yes, I've been using them in my triple XM-L flashlight I got from DX a few weeks ago. They're pretty good. I posted earlier about the internal resistance I got from using the cells.

By chance, do you have any discounts for LPF users? :yh:

Yes, I've been using them in my triple XM-L flashlight I got from DX a few weeks ago. They're pretty good. I posted earlier about the internal resistance I got from using the cells.

Did you order from Amazon, eBay , or Orbtronic website?

You guys tell me what would be your target fair price for 2 cells, and protective case (or w/o protective case) ?

Have in mind that AW is using the exact same NCR18650A 3100mAh cell.

Willing to help LPF members to upgrade their "old" stock to the best 18650 batteries.