Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got some Sanwu Pocket Lasers...

diachi

Nice! I'm a big fan of the pocket series. Could do with one in 488 to go with my 445 and 650.

Enjoy!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Nice! I'm a big fan of the pocket series. Could do with one in 488 to go with my 445 and 650.

Enjoy!
I also recommend the 492nm as that is a very unique wavelength. You can see 488nm with an argon but can't own 492nm unless through an expensive dpss or dye laser.

Waiting on the diode & driver to be delivered (thanks DTR) but I'm close to finishing my first proper build (which is a 488nm Sharp diode in a host similar to the Sanwu Pocket :) Might order one in the new year to see if I prefer the DIY approach or Sanwu's :p Basing the build of T_Warne's thread from a while back

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's a good looking rainbow of Sanwu's pocket series that you have there, Synchros! :cool:
Thanks for sharing the video, those 488nm and 492nm wavelengths are always a treat to see.

I saw this video in another post you made about it. It is a shame the camera can't do justice to the laser wavelengths. Your 488nm one looks spot on, but the 492nm one looks too blue to be true to the color. I used a higher wavelength one for my build, a 493nm one and at a higher current at 275 mA. It outputs greater than 100 mW at that current. I was using all acrylic lenses until I saw the two element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR. I bought half a dozen of those to be used on future builds as they are the only glass lens I've seen that doesn't have the rectangular artifact that can be seen with every other glass lens I have tried.

I also recommend the 492nm as that is a very unique wavelength. You can see 488nm with an argon but can't own 492nm unless through an expensive dpss or dye laser.
It's such a subtle difference plus these diodes are identical and I'm sure they're the same ones Paul's run spectral analysis on. It seems anywhere between 487 and 495 I think.

I saw this video in another post you made about it. It is a shame the camera can't do justice to the laser wavelengths. Your 488nm one looks spot on, but the 492nm one looks too blue to be true to the color. I used a higher wavelength one for my build, a 493nm one and at a higher current at 275 mA. It outputs greater than 100 mW at that current. I was using all acrylic lenses until I saw the two element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR. I bought half a dozen of those to be used on future builds as they are the only glass lens I've seen that doesn't have the rectangular artifact that can be seen with every other glass lens I have tried.
I have that artifact on both myself. I assumed it was something idiosyncratic to the diodes. (I'll have to turn the end cap and see 😉) I think the 492 may be a bit lower because its so miniscule a difference I can only tell when they're moving. I tested both on my CHEAP lpm and both were right on the money (60mW and 98mW) so I think my meter is actually reasonably accurate. I'm working on a printable scale that can be used to roughly measure wavelength through a 1000/mm grating so I should be able to roughly estimate both. The (difference at least).

diachi

Already have a 495 pen build so I have less interest in the pocket at that wavelength. ;)

Waiting on the diode & driver to be delivered (thanks DTR) but I'm close to finishing my first proper build (which is a 488nm Sharp diode in a host similar to the Sanwu Pocket :) Might order one in the new year to see if I prefer the DIY approach or Sanwu's :p Basing the build of T_Warne's thread from a while back

Good luck with your build! :)