Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Got my new shades

MajorLazor

Just got this Eagle Pair of safety glasses (190-540 + 900-1700). First impression? Very nice :cool: Being new to this, I didn't know what to expect, but it's really surprising how it makes my green laser disappear, except for a tiny, tiny dot. Keep in mind, it's one of the overpowered "5 mW" greenies, but these glasses seem to be very effective. Also, I sort of look like Will Smith in Hancock, LOL.

Quick question, though: when burning stuff, how do you go about focusing the beam? Do you do it with the goggles off? Otherwise, how do you see it?

Proton

Awesome, be careful with those overpowered "5 mW" green lasers. They often also have infrared light in them and IR wavelengths start at about 700nm and end at about 1000nm.

and NO, NEVER take the goggles off and look at any high powered laser, you WILL go blind. I would recommend recording it with a camera, turning the laser off, then looking back at the footage if you ever want to see your laser beam, keep the ISO on the camera low if possible to get a better look.

Your laser should be able to burn stuff right off the bat without focusing, if it cant then you may need to get focusing lenses, a stronger laser diode or maybe you're just holding the laser too far away.

I want to dispel any misinformation here. The goggles are for accidental specular reflections that can hit your pupil with collimated laser light. I only wear mine when there is a risk of this happening. When burning something there are normally no mirrored surfaces to reflect the collimated light, so I don't use goggles for burning. Besides, burning stuff gets old very fast and I haven't done it in years. Diffused reflections, like you would see off a wall, is not going to blind you or likely to cause you any harm as long as it is not very high power or you are not very close to it. Diffuse reflections decrease as the square of the distance you are from them. Do be careful, but don't give into nonsensical fear.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Glad to see that you purchasd some high quality goggles, you won't go wrong with Eagle Pair.

In my opinion, you can safely look at the beam, and focus your laser as long as you are careful and know where your laser is pointing.
Looking at the beam is much different and safer than looking at the dot or getting hit by a reflection or direct hit.
Do wear your goggles when doing any burning or anything else that may produce dangerous reflections.

Seeing the beautiful beams produced by our lasers is why most all of us are in this hobby.

For burning you can see the spot when you focus your beam waist down tight upon a target ( wood is good ) actually wearing the glasses lets you see the tight burning spot that would otherwise be drowned out, you will see the intensity at it's peak as an orange glow and you can see when you have your tightest focus on your target " smallest dia. waist " by wearing the proper safety glasses.

Last edited:
I have the same googles.They work fine for my 1W 405nm 5W 450nm 1W 525nm and 0,1W 532nm lasers.However they don't block IR wavelengths.I could take a photo with my camera which have IR filter removed but I am too lazy to do that now.
I don't have googles while focusing the beam but I don't look at the dot.I have googles when I am focusing while burning.

MajorLazor

Jirkas99 is confused--he must be talking about different laser glasses.

The Eagle Pair you purchased do block IR in the 900nm to 1700nm range.

See graph of wavelengths vs OD level at bottom of manufacturers page here: http://www.eaglelaser.cn/En/GoodsView/702.html

Thanks! Yeah, these are the IR plus visible. I verified using my IR camera, and they do seem to work. I probably won't do any burning with this one anymore since I have a more powerful laser in blue. So far, these glasses are great, though. I see how they make it easier to focus the spot since they block out most of the light.