Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good goggles for Arcane 2.0 470nm 4W+ laser

Okay, after much consideration I decided to buy a Arcane 2.0 470nm 4W+ laser from Sci-Fi Lasers. They got a good reputation and seem to have a great quality for a decent price.

The problem is the required protection. I searched and read many posts here in the forum and the more I read the more cunfused I got.

What I understand so far is the OD and the CE rating. I surely want high quality, so I decided to get some CE certified goggles. Nothing extreme expensive (maybe up to 100€), but nothing cheap either.

If I understand correctly, blue lasers do not emmit IR wavelengths, only the green ones, right? So the range 190-540 nm should be fine? Has anyone measured the Arcane 2.0 for IR output?

If I have a 5W laser, the OD calc results a minimum of OD4, but this seems too small. (https://www.lia.org/evaluator/od.php)

I think a OD between 5 and 6 should be okay?

The Eagle Pair is often mentioned. But are they really okay?
I also read about thorlabs, cascadelaser, lasersafetyindustries, noirlaser and uvex-laservision... but I am totally unsure.

Noirlaser - ARG filter (315-532 DIRM LB6 with VLT of 48%)
ARG

They seem to offer a high protection, but isn't OD7 a bit too much?

What is your experience? Any recommendations?
Thank you for your help in advance.

LG Cres

blue laser don't give out IR...

Eagle pair 190-540 od 6 from survivallaser is just right...

Thanks for the reply.

Something like a ARG-60 fitover frame would have been nice, but 50$ for a convincing protection is better than having a cooler look.

blue laser don't give out IR...

Eagle pair 190-540 od 6 from survivallaser is just right...
Looking at their site we see OD 4+ and not 6.Is it something different?

"These goggles have exceptional visible light transmission (rated at 50%) and yet protect to a level of OD 4+ (reduce the intensity of 190-540nm laser light by a factor of 10,000 or more), and are CE certified".

Last edited: