Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good Burning Lasers

A. Fisher

Hi All-
First off, this is my first post so if I do anything wrong, I apologize in advance. Please let me know what is wrong and I can fix it.
I am looking for some sort of burning laser that is (relatively) inexpensive. I just need something that is capable of lighting kindling, or somewhere around there. I am new to these kinds of lasers, so I am not sure where to start.
Thank you!

You need to specify what you mean by inexpensive. You can get a 1 to 2 watt 445nm blue laser that will burn pretty well for $90.00 to $150.00. There are many options besides these, though. Please be more specific.

A. Fisher

By inexpensive I mean somewhere around or below to $100 range. I dont need anything too powerful, just capable of lighting a small piece of wood. Thanks!

Make sure you wear the appropriate laser safety glasses when you do and I recommend spending 50-60 dollars on a good pair of glasses to protect your eyes.

Though a 2 watt laser will ignite brown paper very easily, it is more difficult to cause wood to catch fire. The NUBM44 diode lasers are best at doing this, but have terrible beam specs that make it necessary to add extra optics to do this at a distance.