Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Good bench supply?

Rifter

Whats a good bench supply? I had a good one i spent $500 on but its been in storage for 10 years and moved 4 times with me and it doesnt appear to be functional anymore :( and the ebay seller i purchased it from is no longer there.

Constant current obviously and 5 amp rated would be great, thanks guys.

I have used a Mastech, but this Extech is a much better supply:
http://www.cobbcarpet.com/digsupply.jpg
The 4 Digit readout allows plotting diodes with better precision.

Here I am charging the newest lithium ion #18650's to 4.35 VDC in Constant Current mode.
The 5 amp capacity allows charging several cells at once.
Also switching supply takes up less space on bench.
I can get a good price on these, if anybody needs one.

LarryDFW

Wmacky

I have used a Mastech, but this Extech is a much better supply:
http://www.cobbcarpet.com/digsupply.jpg
The 4 Digit readout allows plotting diodes with better precision.

Here I am charging the newest lithium ion #18650's to 4.35 VDC in Constant Current mode.
The 5 amp capacity allows charging several cells at once.
Also switching supply takes up less space on bench.
I can get a good price on these, if anybody needs one.

LarryDFW

I have a Linear supply that has the extra amperage digit also. It's 5 amp, and so far works great.

Korad Precision Variable Adj 30V 5A DC Power Supply Digital Regulated Lab Grade | eBay

Last edited:
I've had excellent results from my Atten APS3005S. It's a 30V 5A CC CV bench supply and was under $100. The voltage accuracy is about +-100mV, and current accuracy was +-35mA. Now, it is only 3 significant digits on the display and voltage is 01-34V, so when it is out 50mV it is that the digital display reads for example 04.1V when it is putting out 4.2V. The current display doesn't have this issue since it is 0-5A.

So, I wouldn't direct drive sensitive equipment without using a precision meter to monitor voltage and current, but it is fine for all other things. The regulation is solid, even at 5A draw; less than 1mV/A ripple. The internal construction and design is solid too, no issues with cheap parts or bad layout.

Rifter

Just found a mastech hy3005d for 150 shipped. Should have it later this week :)