Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Golden Recommendations?

Hey so I'm looking to get my first 589nm handheld. I'm just looking for some info and recommendations for where I should get one. I know hat plenty of people here have a lot of experience with them so I'd love any input I can get!:)

I'd like to know:

Where is the best deal at?

What place has the sturdiest host?

What has the best stability in terms of laser output?

Which will have the longest lifespan?

If I bought one used what should I lookout for?

And anything else you think I should know?

Thanks a ton for any help you all can give me:D

Unfortunately for us, the supply of 589nm modules to put into portable lasers is a fairly limited supply... I believe the only two companies who make their own modules are CNI and Lasever.

If you're looking for the budget option with the least amount of work, look no further than the dragonlasers spartan. It's a rebranded CNI PGL-III-M. From most of the reviews I see on the forums, it's good quality and is typically overspec. You can search the forums for a plethora of reviews.

You could contact CNI and try getting one of their 589nm lasers directly. They state that the offer them in their III-C host, however you'll also be able to get it in a III-A and III-M host directly from them. Or you could get a bare module and put it into a custom host -- I've had it done before with lasever's stuff which is roughly the same size. Pricing will be provided through emailing them, either that or wait for a group buy we do here on LPF from them.

Likewise, you could contact Lasever about it, though they're new to 589nm scene and I'm not sure they can make them available in portable hosts or bare modules. If they can, it's a III-C host clone. These guys are typically cheaper than CNI and the quality is close to par... though the customer service is a little lackluster. A member who had previously distributed their modules had a bad run in -- his explanation here.

And to show off a build with one of the modules, I asked Jayrob to help with this one a while back: http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/vintage-light-diy-473nm-100mw-ancient-light-s-son-77425.html

__

Edit: to answer your used question, it's tough. The more information the better with DPSS. it's good to know whether it likes to run warm or cold, but you should always look for an up-to-date LPM reading of it. That'll show how stable it is, which for DPSS is the most important part.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi LDB, I don't think you have a lot of options for 589nm, especially in the U.S. if you want more than 5mW output.
I would say DragonLaser is about your only option if you're buying new. You can get a spartan host with 50mW output.
The spartan host is decent, but nothing extrordinary.
I'll bet many of us don't know about the longest lifespan yet, and don't really want to find out! :eek:
They do come up for sale every now and then in the BST section here.

Unfortunately for us, the supply of 589nm modules to put into portable lasers is a fairly limited supply... I believe the only two companies who make their own modules are CNI and Lasever.

If you're looking for the budget option with the least amount of work, look no further than the dragonlasers spartan. It's a rebranded CNI PGL-III-M. From most of the reviews I see on the forums, it's good quality and is typically overspec. You can search the forums for a plethora of reviews.

You could contact CNI and try getting one of their 589nm lasers directly. They state that the offer them in their III-C host, however you'll also be able to get it in a III-A and III-M host directly from them. Or you could get a bare module and put it into a custom host -- I've had it done before with lasever's stuff which is roughly the same size. Pricing will be provided through emailing them, either that or wait for a group buy we do here on LPF from them.

Likewise, you could contact Lasever about it, though they're new to 589nm scene and I'm not sure they can make them available in portable hosts or bare modules. If they can, it's a III-C host clone. These guys are typically cheaper than CNI and the quality is close to par... though the customer service is a little lackluster. A member who had previously distributed their modules had a bad run in -- his explanation here.

__

And to show off a build with one of the modules, I asked Jayrob to help with this one a while back: http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/vintage-light-diy-473nm-100mw-ancient-light-s-son-77425.html

I've definitely been looking at dragon lasers. I've heard that many of their 50mws are actually more like 70-80mw. I am just a little cautious about spending $500+ on a laser.

Do you really think I could get a bare module from lasever? If I could I think that is definitely the route I'll be taking. Otherwise dragon lasers is looking really good.

Thanks for your info:beer:

Hi LDB, I don't think you have a lot of options for 589nm, especially in the U.S. if you want more than 5mW output.
I would say DragonLaser is about your only option if you're buying new. You can get a spartan host with 50mW output.
The spartan host is decent, but nothing extrordinary.
I'll bet many of us don't know about the longest lifespan yet, and don't really want to find out! :eek:
They do come up for sale every now and then in the BST section here.

Thanks I was thinking that DL might be my only option. If I can find anything more about this lasever bare module then I might try for that. Otherwise I guess I'll have to hork up the money for a Spartan:p

I've definitely been looking at dragon lasers. I've heard that many of their 50mws are actually more like 70-80mw. I am just a little cautious about spending $500+ on a laser.

Do you really think I could get a bare module from lasever? If I could I think that is definitely the route I'll be taking. Otherwise dragon lasers is looking really good.

Thanks for your info:beer:

It's worth a shot. Granted -- a build using a DPSS module is significantly more difficult than a build using a standard diode, so the build itself won't be cheap too. It could very well be the spartan that is the cheaper option than building one yourself. However, I don't know the lasever module price. Just shoot them an email, that's the next step for them.

Razako

As an American, your 589nm options are pretty much limited to the spartan . CNI won't sell complete lasers to the US anymore, so you can forget about getting a 589nm PGL from them. I wish there was a better selection of 589nm, but the Spartan actually isn't bad at least. Dragonlasers do have competent customer service in my experience. My first Spartan randomly suffered a huge drop in output for no reason and they replaced it without much hassle. The new one has been working well for nearly a year now.

Last edited:
As an American, your 589nm options are pretty much limited to the spartan . CNI won't sell complete lasers to the US anymore, so you can forget about getting a 589nm PGL from them. I wish there was a better selection of 589nm, but the Spartan actually isn't bad at least.

Is that so? Dang, the good old days of exotic DPSS in the US are probably crippled from that. No wonder we don't see many of us running around with 561nm

It's worth a shot. Granted -- a build using a DPSS module is significantly more difficult than a build using a standard diode, so the build itself won't be cheap too. It could very well be the spartan that is the cheaper option than building one yourself. However, I don't know the lasever module price. Just shoot them an email, that's the next step for them.

Yeah I have a jetlasers 532nm module that I am working on right now and it's being a little difficult but it shouldn't be too hard once I get to my computer and can draw out the host. I just need to figure out how to get a focusing lens on it.

I think that a 589nm module will at least be smaller so it will be easier to work with. I'm gonna shoot them an email and see if they can do anything for me.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah I have a jetlasers 532nm module that I am working on right now and it's being a little difficult but it shouldn't be too hard once I get to my computer and can draw out the host. I just need to figure out how to get a focusing lens on it.

I think that a 589nm module will at least be smaller so it will be easier to work with. I'm gonna shoot them an email and see if they can do anything for me.

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome!

Fair warning though, it's probably the exact same size. These things are wide. Though the focusing lens will be glued in place (not that it matters on a 589)

As an American, your 589nm options are pretty much limited to the spartan . CNI won't sell complete lasers to the US anymore, so you can forget about getting a 589nm PGL from them. I wish there was a better selection of 589nm, but the Spartan actually isn't bad at least. Dragonlasers do have competent customer service in my experience. My first Spartan randomly suffered a huge drop in output for no reason and they replaced it without much hassle. The new one has been working well for nearly a year now.

Good customer service is a plus :D that makes them seem a little more appetizing. Thanks for that info, cause I've dealt with crappy service before and it's always a turn off when it comes to purchasing things.

Razako

I got a 561nm bare module and never could find a host it worked with properly. I ended up just sticking it in an electronics project box. Unless you have a spare PGL host sitting around, or can make your own custom host, you'll probably run into some issues.

You're welcome!

Fair warning though, it's probably the exact same size. These things are wide. Though the focusing lens will be glued in place (not that it matters on a 589)

I dunno, the 532 module is 30mm wide at its largest diameter and is 60mm at its length. Maybe the Spartan is deceptively large because it's pictures always seem like it's barely bigger than a pen host:p

I got a 561nm bare module and never could find a host it worked with properly. I ended up just sticking it in an electronics project box. Unless you have a spare PGL host sitting around, or can make your own custom host, you'll probably run into some issues.

I've got some equipment that I can use to modify hosts and such if need be. ElectricPlasma is usually pretty good at making what I need as well. I'll test out his skills with my 532 before I do the 589 just to really put him to a test:D

Yeah, their module is either 26 or 28mm wide. The spartan may be a little bit bigger than what you're expecting. It's big enough to accommodate for one of these wider modules, that's for sure.

Yeah, their module is either 26 or 28mm wide. The spartan may be a little bit bigger than what you're expecting. It's big enough to accommodate for one of these wider modules, that's for sure.

That's actually very comforting to know. If lasever doesn't respond in a day or so I'll be going for that Spartan then😁