Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Going to start bitcoin mining for fun

So Im getting some RockMiner R-BOX to start mining for fun. I think it would be fun to have a small mining operation going, and know that I am actually contributing to bitcoin.

Now here is the main question. Should I solo mine or pool mine?

I know most people will say to pool mine, but I am actually leaning more toward solo mining.

I understand solo mining is a big gamble, but if I ever do find a block that is 25 bitcoins to myself. I wont share it with a pool, it will be MINE and only MINE.

That being said, if I never find a block my bitcoin balance stays a big fat 0.

And then there always is the option to mine another SHA-256 crypto currency.

So I ask you guys, what should I do?

Grix

If it's just for fun, it won't really matter, it's extremely unlikely that you find a block mining solo with that hashing power, but even if you mine in a pool you won't earn very much. You'll have to decide whether you want a few bitcents or a lottery ticket worth a few bitcents. Maybe you can mine a few bucks in a pool and then switch to solo after a while

Last edited:
If it's just for fun, it won't really matter, it's extremely unlikely that you find a block mining solo with that hashing power, but even if you mine in a pool you won't earn very much. You'll have to decide whether you want a few bitcents or a lottery ticket worth a few bitcents. Maybe you can mine a few bucks in a pool and then switch to solo after a while

Im getting like 7 of these. So I looked it up on a calculator, and I think it said I would make like $6/day. But by the 3rd month I would be making half that (which I don't know how that's possible).

So I think that is actually a good idea, pool mine for a month or 2, and then solo mine the rest.

csshih

Im getting like 7 of these. So I looked it up on a calculator, and I think it said I would make like $6/day. But by the 3rd month I would be making half that (which I don't know how that's possible).

So I think that is actually a good idea, pool mine for a month or 2, and then solo mine the rest.

always deduct 10-20% from the calc as it's theoretical and you'll have losses along the way.

Also note that since people as also thinking the same thing you are, the network speed has been steadily going up, expect profitability to drop shortly.