Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Goggles question

TrevorWesley

Hey guys. I recently got an 800mw blue laser and some OD6 goggles but wearing them is just no fun at all because it totally eliminates the experience. What OD goggles would you recommend that will protect but also allow some visibility to appreciate the laser. Thanks 🤙🏻

julianthedragon

The OD6 goggles were and still are the correct choice honestly. The goggles are most important in indoor, close-range situations including burning where the light is reflecting off of surfaces relatively close to your eyes. The fact that you can't see the (color or beam of the) laser means the goggles are doing their job.
In outdoor environments when pointing the laser decently far away, you can get away with removing the goggles. You won't find that in a laser safety guide but I can say with a high degree of confidence that most people with powerful handheld lasers have done this. Use your judgement and don't point it at anything that could reflect back or near buildings, animals, vehicles, nearby surfaces etc.

Commander J. Bloodmaker

If you ever wanted to go blind, by all means take those awesome goggles off and let the optic destruction begin!! That is a joke.

Really if you are pointing it at the sky or a good distance away ( like a gun, always know what you are aiming at and what's around and behind that), you don't need them on. I regularly aim mine up in to the clouds on stormy nights, from my bathroom window. I only do it when I know planes will not be flying. Otherwise I use my fog machine in the back yard and aim towards my house, it's dark colored an absorbs most of the light.

I always wear mine in the house, or if there is a chance of reflection. When playing with anything over 5mw, I do it in a locked room, so no one can walk in and lose an eye. I also have all the windows covered so no stray beam can find it's way outside. I play with mirros and lenses in my laser room. I had a 450nm bouncing off 100 1/2 round mirrors one time. Took me almost 4 hours to get it set up. It was insane!!! Was like a movie!!