Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Glowtorch-type" mod (200mw 660nm red)

H

High_Octane

Thanks for the link, That guy has waterproof green lasers as well as other LDs and KTP crystals.

Kenom:

TO-5 package is 9mm not 5.6mm

I think they only have 5.6mm IR diodes up to 200mW.
At least for this seller.

Anyone care to explain to me about C-mounts? I don't really see anyone here using them even though they tend to come in high outputs and have much better divergence. Is i just the size or the shape or what?

H

High_Octane

xarylx said:
Kenom:

Anyone care to explain to me about C-mounts? I don't really see anyone here using them even though they tend to come in high outputs and have much better divergence. Is i just the size or the shape or what?

I as well am interested in the answer to this question.

chimo

High Octane said:
[quote author=xarylx link=1187307086/45#49 date=1191624243]Kenom:

I as well am interested in the answer to this question.[/quote]

I have commented (speculated) before about the C mounts (open heatsink) laser diodes. It appears that the pedistal is larger on these and hence better thermal transfer.

The only information I have found on line so far rationalizing the open heatsink design is the ability to use different optics. They do also warn that they are meant to be put in a sealed environment and will deteriorate if exposed.

I have found no manufacturer's evidence that they have higher output ratings than closed designs.

H

High_Octane

Thanks, I can now see why there not real popular for hobbyist.

Is it true that most lab style dpss modules use C-mounts?
How about high powered RPL style modules?

I don't see why being open would be a problem for hobbyists if they are going to enclose it in some sort of way. Having a square shape and a larger size is not a problem either as this would make heatsinking easier.

It's not like anyone is going to cram a 1W 9mm IR diode into a pen style module. Probably not enough heatsinking at all with that sort of diameter.

H

High_Octane

xarylx said:
Is it true that most lab style dpss modules use C-mounts?
How about high powered RPL style modules?

I don't see why being open would be a problem for hobbyists if they are going to enclose it in some sort of way. Having a square shape and a larger size is not a problem either as this would make heatsinking easier.

It's not like anyone is going to cram a 1W 9mm IR diode into a pen style module. Probably not enough heatsinking at all with that sort of diameter.

True it would make heatsinking easier, However I just don't see or hear of anyone using this style of diode, makes me wonder why exactly.

Also I do plan on putting my 1W TO-5 Package IR diode into a pen style module, actually more like the SenTorch size or DX flashlight size module. with the small size of TEC coolers, its not an impossibility.

I've been bugging SenKat for one of those laser bodies he did a group buy on, I hope he can get a few.

H

High_Octane

Finicky little things they are.
thanks for the links, lots of good reading to do.