Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Glass lens for the "New style " Red 200mW?

Emc2

I have the new style red 200mW dilda as many of you know. But I think the lens in this new style is acrylic and I do not know the focal length. If I knew I may be able to buy one from Edmund Scientific and install it my self. I have seen the lens for the old style laser but I was wondering if a new lens has been made. Thanks.

-Todd

Hi Todd;

I see you're also in Texas. We have a good number of members in this area.

That should be a good learning project.

Do you have the old lens out yet ? Does it use an Aixiz module ?

If so, you can measure the diameter to find another lens with that diameter.

Ideally, you want a lens with a very short Focal Length to capture all the power of the diode.

Then, if possible, it needs to be coated with an anti-reflection (AR) coating.

Insure that it is mounted square in the lens housing and you should be good to go.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

nice project, but take care because what I've learnt from chinese stuff is: "it usually works well until you modify it"

Hope it doesn't apply to your dilda :D

Emc2

Hi Todd;

I see you're also in Texas. We have a good number of members in this area.

That should be a good learning project.

Do you have the old lens out yet ? Does it use an Aixiz module ?

If so, you can measure the diameter to find another lens with that diameter.

Ideally, you want a lens with a very short Focal Length to capture all the power of the diode.

Then, if possible, it needs to be coated with an anti-reflection (AR) coating.

Insure that it is mounted square in the lens housing and you should be good to go.

LarryDFW

Hi Larry,

i have not taken the lens out yet and I am not sure what you mean by Aixiz module. The lens is in a small black housing that can be unscrewed from the top piece of the laser head. i can get you some photos if that will help you to see what I have. The current lens must have a 3mm FL or so, this is a good guess. I have another 200mW red laser on order (same one, I just wanted another) and when I get that one I will work on the lens to try to figure it out. I'll get back with you soon.

-T

Todd;

This is a Aixiz module for mounting a laser diode:
images

(courtesy of roger8811)

LarryDFW

Last edited:

Emc2

Todd;

This is a Aixiz module for mounting a laser diode:
images

(courtesy of roger8811)

LarryDFW

Oh ok I see what that is now. My red does not have anything that looks like that. I just have thw top cap that unscrews from the laser head and the lens assembly is threadded in the center of the top piece. The lens housinf is black and is about 1/4 inch long with threads all the way down its barrel housing. There is a retainer at the top of the housing holding the lens in place, a screw driver or spacer wrench can remove the top ring. I'll get you some photos this evening so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

-T

i have one of these new style dilda the lens they using is glass

Emc2

i have one of these new style dilda the lens they using is glass

Really? Well I gently cleaned the back side of the lens with a Q-tip and it left a circular ring pattern on it. Maybe it was in the coatings but is slightly scatters the laser light around the spot. When the laser spot is difocused to a large spot, the ring is visible. I did not use much pressure at all, I guess it could have been a dirty Q-tip or had something on it. The ring on the lens or lens coating led me to believe it was acrylic because glass would not wear like that.

Emc;

There is probably a slight film still on the lens.

Cleaning is a two-part process.

I have cleaning instructions in my lens assembly Sales thread on page #4:

Lens Cleaning Link

LarryDFW

Last edited: