Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GGW H20L 6x laser in Odicforce host: modified.

Hi, everyone, I'm making this new thread to show you my new and first laser. I've never had a high power laser before and this is my first build.
I used a GGW H20L 6x blu ray diode, a microboost driver and a 405-G-1 lens.
All this is fit in an Odicforce host, wich I had to modify.
The host was designed to fit two CR2 batteries wich I replaced with one 14500 battery in order to get a voltage under 5.5V

So, this an overview of my laser:
generalf.jpg

Here is the tail cap:
tailcap.jpg

Here is the diode fit in the diode housing with the microboost driver soldered on. I had some hard work soldering the driver to the diode since the diode is recessed into the diode host (i had to be careful not to touch any other part of the driver with my fat tip) and its pins are pretty short. But here it is:
diodev.jpg

Then, the laser was finished, but one problem appeared: the lens assembly couldn't get close enough to the diode because the threading on the main barrel was too short.

Here is the lens assembly:
lensassembly.jpg

And that's the threading on the main barrel(The aluminum part inside is the diode assembly):
threading.jpg

So what I did is i shortened the tube part of the lens assembly then screwed the lens back on so that the lens could get closer to the diode. Here is the modified assembly compared to the normal one:
comparisons.jpg

So after that the problem was solved and I can now focus the beam to any distance.

Last thing I did was to put a clean piece of black electrical tape on the main barrel's threading so that the assembly can be adjusted really tightly without any wobble. I could have used teflon tape, but when I did this I couldn't find it and electrical tape is tighter.
ducttape.jpg

Ok so that's it. I'm really happy with my first laser, since it's my first build, it is currently set at 200mA, I can't tell you the exact output power since I don't have any LPM but with jay's lens, it should be around 220mW.
Hope you enjoyed it and I hope it helps any people that has had the same problem as mine with odicforce hosts.

Thanks for reading everyone and have a good day.

Last edited:

Yes I'm gonna make some and ppst them tonight. One thing that's bothering me is that both the lens and the diode glass are dirty so the focal point is of "lower quality", there is some unwanted light around it and i don't have the required equipement to clean them.

EDIT: In a Dark room(without fog), I can clearly see the beam but i can't get the camera to see them. Any tips?

Last edited: