Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Getting the most out of your heatsink?

hmm I guess you could. but with a melting point of 2730 C, you are going to need to heat it to a fairly high temp to sinter it. And you would need something that can handle the pressure and heat without deformation, that you can remove afterwords from the silicon carbide to make it into a solid state heat sink. There are materials that could handle the heat and pressure without deforming. Also I am not 100% certain about sintering it NEEDING pressure. I know pressure will minimize pores.

However if you were successful at sintering a solid heatsink of silicon carbide together, it would work considerably more effectively then any metal could. it would probably be the most effective non active cooled heatsink. (as fabricating one out of diamond would probably be impossible....)

StridAst

Krutz

thank you for the info! interesting! will have to get me some fine silicon carbide to experiment!
..sidenote, did you know you could build a LED with a single grain of silicon carbide? :)
..not exactly bright, but "bright" enough to see some glow!

manuel

mfo

Seems I've started a very interesting thread, eh? :)

Thought I would resurrect this old thread to add some info. I have tried the silver foil to improve contact between the aixiz module and my heatsink. It works quite wonderfully. I ordered it from the seller I linked to above. It's nice and annealed. It's more soft then teflon tape and I had a little trouble getting it to not tear on me just wrapping it around, until I realized the key was to cut a piece wider, then fold it over to improve thickness before wrapping the module with it. I used an arbor press to push it into the heatsink, but a vice should have worked just as well.

The end result is quite nice. I can't find any room between the module and the heatsink. I would highly recommend it.