Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Getting a laser into australia

They didnt even look in mine.

61987.thumb

I bought a Laser that is labelled 100mw in Thailand and am wondering if I put it in my suitcase will it be ok? I'm heading back home tmoro lol.
Reckon it will be ok?

I bought a Laser that is labelled 100mw in Thailand and am wondering if I put it in my suitcase will it be ok? I'm heading back home tmoro lol.
Reckon it will be ok?
That depends how well you hide it...

I have no Idea what you laser looks like but definitely remove the sticker, you could unscrew each section and put them in separate place but I dont know what laser you have but make it blend I guess

vk2fro

Take out the batteries first.

Stuff a piece of paper down the barrel so it isolates the spring. push it all way way down with the ereaser on a pencil.

Hide the tailcap well somewhere in your carry on.

Put the laser somewhere else (either carry on or checked luggage).

If you get searched, and they find the laser, tell them it doesn't work. If they insist on a demonstration, pop in the batteries, point it at the floor and press the button. The paper will stop the current flowing into the driver.

Once you get back home, cut a tiny piece of double sided tape and attach it to the ereaser of a pencil. Slide it down the barrel and press against the paper. Hold there for 10 seconds, then slowly withdraw the pencil, with the paper attached. Drop in the batteries and lase away (preferably not at planes!) :)

This works for bigger pointers. Use black paper so they cant see it if they look down the tube. For smaller (pen sized) pointers it also works, or you can coat the inside of the tail cap on the ones that have the battery + at the tailcap end with nail polish (clear). Give it a thick coat. Once you get home, remove the coating with acetone.

Last edited:
I have ordered several Diodes pre mounted from DTR and never had a problem passing thru customs in Australia. Recently I orded a Host kit wihout Diode. No problems with customs. The Law only applies to laser pointers. As long as you stay away from importing a pointer you should be fine. I think ordering from the US they pass thru customs easier. From China, They may look harder.

I doubt claiming it does't work will pass. The law doesn't say it has to work. Pointers rated at over 1mw are ilegal. All they need to look at is the rating on it. Over 1mw. Its confiscated weather it works or not.

If you are a member of an Astronomy club you are allowed over 1mw.

Last edited:
1839 days, 1 hour, 4 minutes counting the last edit on the previous post. :banghead:

Also good luck with that Astronomy Club loophole. Pretty sure there was someone on here who recently had a laser seized and they didn't care so don't bet on it.

Hehe. Didnt even notice how old this thread was.

You need to prove you are a member of an astronomy club then get a permit to import it. Carrying them you only need proof of membership.

GSS

Hehe. Didnt even notice how old this thread was.

You need to prove you are a member of an astronomy club then get a permit to import it. Carrying them you only need proof of membership.
I don't find it all that bad on the occasional necro post as it doesn't seem to happen all that much. It's kind of fun to see the some of the old post's, some member's who I never knew and their signature of lasers of the times, even current ones who's learned alot of wisdom and experience:beer: I do see alot of banned members though:thinking:
Ok some can be pretty silly:whistle: but on this one thread seeing as shipping laws change constantly with lasers it could be useful info "if its really true". Hey this thread was necro posted a few times as it started in 2009. Even got to see "Diachi" post when he was child:eek:
Lets just hope these shipping "tricks" work:shhh: