Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

getting a handheld laser tested question

J4894

Hello, newbie here.

Can anyone tell me how to get a handheld laser power tested or would anyone with a laser power meter be willing to test one for me if I was to send it to them? I'm just north of Houston Texas. It is a green 303 laser with a key. I am concerned it may be more powerful than it states because the warning sticker states class 2 >5mw but it seems much brighter and you can see the beam at night. I just want to see if its a hazard or not. thanks!!

Any advice would be helpful.

Giannis_TDM

Hello, newbie here.

Can anyone tell me how to get a handheld laser power tested or would anyone with a laser power meter be willing to test one for me if I was to send it to them? I'm just north of Houston Texas. It is a green 303 laser with a key. I am concerned it may be more powerful than it states because the warning sticker states class 2 >5mw but it seems much brighter and you can see the beam at night. I just want to see if its a hazard or not. thanks!!

Any advice would be helpful.
Yes indeed it more powerful than advertised, Don't trust the warning labels on such cheap pointers and the label itself is wrong 5mw is class3a anyways expect 50-80mw out of that thing. For lpm testing you could send it off to a member willing to test it for you in the states.

Hakzaw1 is very close to you. His name is Len and I'm sure he'd be happy to measure it for you. But, these are all in the range of 50 mW to 80 mW, so why bother with such a cheap pointer?

J4894

I guess I just wanted to verify what the power really is because if it’s that high there is a pretty significant chance of eye injury isn’t there? It was a piece of mind thing

These are great for pointing to stars in the night sky. For the money they are good for that. Eye safety comes with knowing how to safely use a laser pointer. I have many of these 532nm green pointers and they cause me little concern.

J4894

Are they 303's? have you ever tested the output of yours? are they all higher than 5mw? thanks

Some are 303s and others are 301s. I have tested every single one of them and they all fall into that range.