Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GET FREE INTERNET ANYWHERE!(requires cellphone+PC)

Ashton

Re: GET FREE INTERNET ANYWHERE!(requires cellphone

if you want to deal look at my post! $10 a month for unlimited cellular internet! you cant beat that! NO MINUTES USED! (just the $10 a month, which is acctually a few cents per day being charged) I know a lot of ppl who got this and permanently mounted them in their cars!

Gazoo

Ashton,
I am not knocking Boost Mobile. All I am saying is I can sign up for any ISP and many are now less than $10.00 a month, and access it from my phone. Now granted, airtime charges do apply. But according to Boost Mobiles faq:

You can pay an extra $10 and get unlimited access to Text Messaging and Wireless Web with any Boost Premium Prepaid plan. If you signup for the $10 add-on and want to opt out all you have to do is wait until your next monthly Re-Boost date to complete the change or call Boost Customer Care for immediate service.

NB: The $30, $50 and $70 Boost Premium Prepaid plans do not come with Wireless Web. Wireless Web is only available when you sign up for the $10 add-on.

So I would have to sign up for a premium plan, and add $10.00 to it for wireless web. The minimum would be $40.00 per month this does not include free long distance or nights and weekends.

Ashton

Nope, I've got a customer doing it right now! this is a work-around. officially you cant use the phone as a modem, but they forgot about the way WinXP handles cellular modems, so it can still dial S=2 even though other PCs (linux, mac, W2K) cant

Does anyone have any idea how to use this for a KRZR from U.S. Cellular? I tried to connect with it (using Bluetooth instead of a USB cable) and it wasn't working. I got frustrated and gave it up for now, but if anyone has any ideas/advice, it would be greatly appreciated. My parents-in-law don't have internet, and it would be great to use this for weekends when we go down there - free since I have free long distance and nights & weekends. Thanks ahead of time! ;)

Aseras

DUN over bluetooth is often disabled on new phones since the manufacturers are uptight greedy assholes.

Use a cable.

Aseras

sprint just started upgrading thier towers in my area ( and where I'm traveling, the big cities) to dual t-1's and now I'm getting nearly 3mbps. :)
It shows I'm negoitiating at 2.500mbits as oppsoed to 921kb on the old stuff.

I'm in my hotel room on my wireless right now pulling 400kb/s downloading from work while I surf and catch up.

I am not sure if you guys have this provider in your area. It is called Blue Wireless. It is absolutely terrible. Dropped calls, failed calls, poor signal, and just overall bad service for cellphones.

how would i go about doing this on a sony ericsson or any other phone for that matter

It costs way too much for this in the UK. In the US it's free to use wap/gprs on your phone isn't it? Well, I'm on O2 and pay £7.50 ($15) a month for 200 MB gprs because it works out cheaper than paying like £2.50 for 2/3 MB extra and then using about 12 MB and paying full rate.

You can do this with almost any phone. I have a D600 that you can do this easily, settings are already programmed into the phone.

Most phones are designed as a modem for this very purpose, can just be very expensive in the UK as your paying for every minute you're online, and with a laptop or PC you'll be receiving more data even when idle.

Sony Ericsson's have had built in modem for years, I think my T610 had it. If you have a 3G phone then I suppose it's a good idea, I have 3G and unlimited wap (fair usage of 200MB, so it is limited lol) but I'd still go through those 200MB and end up havin to pay loads on my phone bill.

T

timelord

Sound like a lot of hassle to get free Internet. When I go out I like to get away from the computer unless I'm going to a hotel with WIFI then I'll take my laptop. As for the broadband in my house, well it's now free using Talk Talk from Carphone warehouse, using a wireless N router I'm getting 8mbps all round the house. This is more than adequate for normal use. Of course Great Britain is behind with the infrastructure to aid faster broadband unlike Korea for example, where the have 100mbps WIFI free everywhere :eek: :cool:
I'm not sure what the USA is up to but they probably have very fast broadband too.

im payin for 8mbps and getting 60kbps peak its freakin mental and its on signed contract AAAAAAAAHHHHH

USA has the fastest along with Japan I think, but only in major areas. Cities in the UK have decided to install free wifi after Manchester annouced it but I'm not sure what speed. Manchester City Council are installing wifi at a huge cost with broadband speeds to 90% of Greater Manchester (unless those plans have changed), so roughly around 3.2 million people in Greater Manchester will have free wifi subject to signal strength and everything else.

More on this topic, it technically isn't free as you have a phone bill to pay. In North America some plans offer free wap/gprs. It all depends on your contract with your phone supplier. Nearly every phone being sold now has a built in modem, but it is slow, the gprs is usually slow and. I might look into doing it when I sort some problems out over my phone bill but it will be expensive for me and probably cheaper to get mobile internet, not that I need it.