Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

General information about laser pointers

Michael Varn

Hi, Iam interested in purchasing a laser pointer. I have been facinated by them since they came out a few decades ago, you know the ones with the red dot.

But laser pointers have come a long way since then.

Iam interested in a green one. Iam not interested in the torch burning ones though. I have seen démonstrations on Youtube about these, and I cannot believe that they are legal in the US. That arctic spider version is a beast! Those torch burners would make a very clever weapon for self défense though, because they look like flashlights! I want one where you can actually see the beam, day or night. I believe those are the ones that astronomers use. I also read that the most visible or brightest beam are the green ones.

But I simply cannot get enough information online about them.

Why is China the only country that makes them?

I want to buy from a U.S. seller that has them in stock here in the U.S. But I heard that these selliers are few and far between. I would love it if someone here can shoot me that link, because buying from China could be very problematic right now because of Covid.

And what is the deal with those yellow lasers? I have seen virtually every color of laser offered for sale on all of the online stores, except for the yellow.

Also, are they actually sold in specialty brick and morter stores anywhere in the U.S.? I would much rather buy them in person instead of online.

So, I simply need more information about them before I decide to buy.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!.

p.s.

I would like someone to post some specific brands and model numbers for the laser pointers rhat Iam interested in.

Last edited:

gazer101

I hate to be that guy, but please kindly introduce yourself in the welcome section. It's nice to do a little KYC before asking people to start telling you where to get potentially dangerous handheld devices.

China tends to produce most products on Earth because of it's massive economy and cheap labor force. There are a few select laser manufacturers say in the US, Poland, Canada, etc. but they would probably be too costly for us hobbyists.

Michael Varn

Sorry, but I thought this was in the welcome thread for first posts for new members.

gazer101

Last edited:

Michael Varn

What is the difference between a high wattage laser and a low wattage laser?

With green lasers there are two variants that differ in brightness, but it's not wattage that determines a green laser's brightness, it something else.

I think it's 520nm and 532nm.

In terms of the wattage of green lasers, what is the difference between high and low?

Is it something you can see, or is the high wattage one just hotter, in terms of what it can burn, and how fast?

While shopping around for lasers, it is the mega wattage that accounts for the price.

Lasers with the highest wattage are the ones that go for around $500.00.

But green lasers that have different "nm" are priced pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I didn't welcome you when this thread was new Michael. So, welcome to the LPF. The real difference between 532nm lasers and 520nm lasers is the 532nm ones are diode pumped solid state lasers while the 520nm ones are direct diode lasers. You can find 1 watt and above lasers on eBay for less than $500. I got mine for ~$300 used and my 1100 mW 520 diode I bought for ~$80 and put it into a sinner host which handles the waste heat well. Enjoy your stay and stay safe.

Michael Varn

So what is the maximum wattage allowed on any color laser that is legal to buy and/ or possess in the USA?

Wattage does correlate with brightness, right?

I assume only government law enforcement agencies like the FBI are the only ones who can use those laser torches that can literally burn through and remove a thick steel door for example.

I am not looking to buy a laser for any burning purposes.

I saw an ad on this forum that was selling a brand of laser that had two variants called the "Venus" and the "Jupiter".

Both of these Lasers had the same price, same color, and mostly the same specs, but there were differences that I simply did not understand.

I am basically looking for the brightest green laser on the market, which I assume has the maximum allowable wattage that anyone can purchase legally from any online merchant, foreign or domestic.

If you or someone else on these forums could message me with brand names, model numbers, and specs for the lasers Iam looking for, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, could you direct me to a thread that explains in detail the differences between the class of laser, like a class 4 laser.

Last edited:
I would look for a good deal on the NDG7475 diode. It is a 520 nm direct laser diode. I don't know if they are still allowing bidding on some of them on eBay, but that's how I got mine. There is no limit to what power laser you can own...just how you use it. There are some other green diodes available as well. You might want to search on eBay.

Encap

I assume only government law enforcement agencies like the FBI are the only ones who can use those laser torches that can literally burn through and remove a thick steel door for example.
LOL There are no hand held lasers that can burn through thick steel doors. Give your imagination and imaginings a time-out.

5 milliwatts is the legal limit in the USA of output power for laser pointers that can be legally imported to the USA and/or sold as an item of commerce within the USA to a customer within the USA.
" Does FDA have a mandatory limit on the power emitted by laser pointers?
Yes. Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.
21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses." See and read about it here: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...rtant-information-laser-pointer-manufacturers

Do yourself a favor and learn about the reality of lasers , laser classes, laser hazards, laser safety, and FDA Laws, rules, and regulations before you purchase a laser pointer.
A "most powerful" 520nm or 532nm laser pointer can can cause permanent eye damage and/or blind you in less than less time than the human blink reflex of 0.25 seconds.

It is more than a good idea to look at and study the following authoritative laser hazard web sites:
Laser pointer safety
https://www.laserpointersafety.com/
Laser safety facts, classes, and hazards
https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/classes-menu.html
Laser hazard chart
https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

Also have a look at what happened to one experienced member in less than 1 second while using a 1000mW 445nm laser. See thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Last edited:
So what is the maximum wattage allowed on any color laser that is legal to buy and/ or possess in the USA?

Wattage does correlate with brightness, right?

I am not looking to buy a laser for any burning purposes.

I saw an ad on this forum that was selling a brand of laser that had two variants called the "Venus" and the "Jupiter".

Both of these Lasers had the same price, same color, and mostly the same specs, but there were differences that I simply did not understand.

I am basically looking for the brightest green laser on the market, which I assume has the maximum allowable wattage that anyone can purchase legally from any online merchant, foreign or domestic.

If you or someone else on these forums could message me with brand names, model numbers, and specs for the lasers Iam looking for, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, could you direct me to a thread that explains in detail the differences between the class of laser, like a class 4 laser.

Remember to always lase safely and wear the appropriate laser safety glasses designed to attenuate the wavelength you are working with when working up close with any laser over 5mw or when there is any chance of a specular reflection.

Never point any laser at people, pets, windows or vehicles and be aware of aircraft in the sky before you ever point a laser towards the sky, it's a very big deal and people have been arrested and jailed for it.

LOL There are no hand held lasers that can burn through thick steel doors. Give your imagination and imaginings a time-out.

5 milliwatts is the legal limit in the USA of output power for laser pointers that can be legally imported to the USA and/or sold as an item of commerce within the USA to a customer within the USA.
" Does FDA have a mandatory limit on the power emitted by laser pointers?
Yes. Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.
21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses." See and read about it here: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...rtant-information-laser-pointer-manufacturers

Do yourself a favor and learn about the reality of lasers , laser classes, laser hazards, laser safety, and FDA Laws, rules, and regulations before you purchase a laser pointer.
A "most powerful" 520nm or 532nm laser pointer can can cause permanent eye damage and/or blind you in less than less time than the human blink reflex of 0.25 seconds.

It is more than a good idea to look at and study the following authoritative laser hazard web sites:
Laser pointer safety
https://www.laserpointersafety.com/
Laser safety facts, classes, and hazards
https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/classes-menu.html
Laser hazard chart
https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

Also have a look at what happened to one experienced member in less than 1 second while using a 1000mW 445nm laser. See thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Again, this shows rules of HOW the laser is used, not what you can own. If one is inexperienced it is a good idea to get familiar, safely, with anything that can blind you. You never want to point one of these lasers at a reflective surface that can give a collimated beam in any direction. Diffused reflections are far less harmful as the light spreads much like an LED would.