Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GearXS 100mw for $30

wbp

A week or so ago I noticed GearXS had this:
True 100MW (532nm) High Powered Deluxe Laser Pointer - Green

For $30 with shipping it seemed almost too good to be true, but I figured it was worth the risk. Package arrived yesterday, a week after I ordered.

Judging only by the beam at night, it is brighter than the 50mw I got from Dino Direct for $38, not as bright as my current 200 mw. So it might be close to 100mw as claimed. Very nice package, runs on 2 AAA's. I wish there was some way to lock it off other than remove the cells, but for $30...

I'll have actual power measurements later this week when my new LPM arrives; we'll see how much IR it's putting out as well. I'll try to find time to take some pictures and get some beam shots too.

William

I was actually looking at this too a few days ago. Looking forward to seeing your review of this one.

Grix

It looks like a generic cheap greenie. They can be had for less.

doesnt matter where it ships from if its the same price and of equal or greater power

wbp

That would depend on how soon you wanted it...:pop:

wbp

I'm still waiting for my LPM to arrive, but I was in HSC today (Halted Specialties in Santa Clara) and decided to pick up a 20x20mm TEC and play with it. Painted one side flat black per the thread on DIY LPM here, glued it to a decent heat sink, hooked it to my good Fluke dmm, and took some readings.

I have a Nova X150 I purchased here which came with measurement data. Assuming that's correct, and I've done the math correctly, the GearXS 100mW pointer measures 76 mW actual output (after 30 secs to stabilize), and about 20 mW of IR (haven't calibrated the IR filter's efficiency yet so the IR value is approximate).

I'll try to get some beam shots in this weekend...
William

wbp

I'm still waiting for my LPM to arrive, but I was in HSC today (Halted Specialties in Santa Clara) and decided to pick up a 20x20mm TEC and play with it. Painted one side flat black per the thread on DIY LPM here, glued it to a decent heat sink, hooked it to my good Fluke dmm, and took some readings.

I have a Nova X150 I purchased here which came with measurement data. Assuming that's correct, and I've done the math correctly, the GearXS 100mW pointer measures 76 mW actual output (after 30 secs to stabilize), and about 20 mW of IR (haven't calibrated the IR filter's efficiency yet so the IR value is approximate).

I'll try to get some beam shots in this weekend...
William

wbp

My LaserBee LPM arrived. Here's a plot for the GearXS 100mw pointer.

Attachments

• GearXS 100mw.20101106-2.jpg
    GearXS 100mw.20101106-2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 249