Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

G'Day from Australia

jkt368

Hi. :D
Just joined up and i thank you for all the information on this forums. I live in Western Australia and i know that more than 1mw laser pointer is banned and will get seized by customs.
But i was just wanting anyone to take a look at this laser
1 mW 6in1 5 Patterns Green Laser Pointer with 5 Star Caps 1 mW 6in1 5 Patterns Green Laser Pointer with 5 Star Caps [] - $19.99 : Laserlands
and have your opinion on if it will get through customs. Even though it is 1mw, i heard that the customs are manually testing the lasers, so it might be over 1mw.
Anyway i thank you all for a fantastic forums.:thanks:

Welcome to the forum, the Aussie laserists are starting to stack up! :wave:

I'm from Sydney my self and have built and sold lasers within Australia for many customers. If you would like anything over the 1mw rating it will have to be bought in parts and assembled within Australia.

The laser you have there is merely a toy, and will not last too long. For the money your paying for it, you are better off spending a little more and getting far superior quality and power.

Please remember to read the FAQ's and the forum rules! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

-Adrian

Howdy Neighbor.
Good to see another aussie on the forums. Lots of great information here.

As bob said, read those FAQS, and the Help/Tutorials.

Before jumping into the deep end, and buying/making a high powered laser, really read the safety issues, and buy some decent safety glasses.

Have fun, and watch your wallet on this great forum :bowdown:

Cheers
Dave

Welcome to the forum and be prepared to have your wallet emptied :)

welcome.gif
to the Forum...

And as the guys have already said... to bring you up to
speed on the Forum... don't forget to read the FAQs....
the Stickies... and of course the Forum Rules...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I feel for you guys in Australia with the limits.

I do not think you will be happy with that pen, it is kind of expensive. You can get greenies for 10 bucks, so keep looking around. With the effects cap dispersing the laser, unless it is close to pitch black, you really won't see the effects well, I suspect, unless it is overspec.

Since a lot of the labeled 5mw pointers are overspec, I think they probably do the same with the 1mw, but I don't have any to compare, nor any to suggest. I hope some others can chime in with some advice.

jkt368

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I feel for you guys in Australia with the limits.

I do not think you will be happy with that pen, it is kind of expensive. You can get greenies for 10 bucks, so keep looking around. With the effects cap dispersing the laser, unless it is close to pitch black, you really won't see the effects well, I suspect, unless it is overspec.

Since a lot of the labeled 5mw pointers are overspec, I think they probably do the same with the 1mw, but I don't have any to compare, nor any to suggest. I hope some others can chime in with some advice.

Thanks and thank you all for the advice.

dnar

Howdy, I am also in WA, Perth to be more precise.

Welcome and enjoy.

Don't feed the trolls...

I'm in melb to. I first bought a 50mw torch green from DX but it got confiscated by customs (warning letter). My friend has got one through though. The amount of laser pointers being imported and confiscated is growing very fast.

I dont think my laser pointer was tested by customs. but you never really know what they are/aren't doing.

Also I have bought 2 green modules from Merry at laserlands.
1. 10mw 532mn 3v
2. 150wm 532mn 3.6v

Just be aware that the more power doesnt always mean a better laser. Take into consideration things like aperture and divergence. (Dont trust the specs on chinese laser modules. More that likely a module will not be to spec (power/apeture/mrad))

My 150mw is about 2.5x as bright as my 10mw, but my 10mw beam is about 1.2mm at aperture and will have a dot size of about 5mm @ 50meters (NICE) whereas the 150mw has about .4mm beam at aperture and will be about 25mm + @ 50meters. Also higher power greenies are more likey to start to mode hop.

Using a 150mw inside will start to hurt you eyes after about 30 sec from my experience (wall reflection).

Do yourself a favor and buy a module only (Wont get confiscated) and then add some batteries and a host. like 532nm 30mw Green Laser Diode Module Y 532nm 30mw Green Laser Diode Module DIY/Industrial/Lab [] - $18.80 : Laserlands
Just use 2x 1.5 AA's or 3x 1.2v AA's for alittle more squeeze.

MY 2 Cents. Hope this helps.

jkt368

I'm in melb to. I first bought a 50mw torch green from DX but it got confiscated by customs (warning letter). My friend has got one through though. The amount of laser pointers being imported and confiscated is growing very fast.

I dont think my laser pointer was tested by customs. but you never really know what they are/aren't doing.

Also I have bought 2 green modules from Merry at laserlands.
1. 10mw 532mn 3v
2. 150wm 532mn 3.6v

Just be aware that the more power doesnt always mean a better laser. Take into consideration things like aperture and divergence. (Dont trust the specs on chinese laser modules. More that likely a module will not be to spec (power/apeture/mrad))

My 150mw is about 2.5x as bright as my 10mw, but my 10mw beam is about 1.2mm at aperture and will have a dot size of about 5mm @ 50meters (NICE) whereas the 150mw has about .4mm beam at aperture and will be about 25mm + @ 50meters. Also higher power greenies are more likey to start to mode hop.

Using a 150mw inside will start to hurt you eyes after about 30 sec from my experience (wall reflection).

Do yourself a favor and buy a module only (Wont get confiscated) and then add some batteries and a host. like 532nm 30mw Green Laser Diode Module Y 532nm 30mw Green Laser Diode Module DIY/Industrial/Lab [] - $18.80 : Laserlands
Just use 2x 1.5 AA's or 3x 1.2v AA's for alittle more squeeze.

MY 2 Cents. Hope this helps.
Wow man thanks.:thanks:

Hey dude, welcome.

If anyone still cares about the pen, I have something to add.

Due to the process in which the green is produced, the power will change with temperature.

It will more or less be over 1mW most of the time. There is no way to be sure.

These pens are also generally overspec, and some have been seen to hit 30mW.

Without APC (where power control is acheived by feedback after the output coupler), there is no way to gurantee 1mW of green output.

Temperature, runtime and batteries all play a part.