Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fusion Driver Question & Diode Identification

Hello, new to the forums.

A long time I ago I purchased two incomplete laser kits which I believe are the older Kryton tubes. One was unbuilt & the other appeared to be a failed attempt at assembly.

One of the drivers is pretty much junk (not worth fixing) & the other was unassembled. Was bored today & assembled the other one. Here it is on bottom:

Img_7064.jpg

My question is on the output side the trace leading to the cap is marked positive. I believe this is marked wrong. I think the trace leading to the cap should be negative & the trace leading to R2 is positive. Can anyone confirm this?

Both heads have diodes installed. The one with the toasted driver all but one pin are broken off so I can't use it. The other all pins are intact but I searched & can't seem to figure out what this diode is. Here's a pic:

Img_7076.jpg

Using my DMM to test the diode, the pin with the white epoxy, it lights up blue. The first black pin lights up red. The other two black pins to right don't seem to do anything. I want to run blue. Just want to verify if I'm good before I cut the other pins off except for the case pin? Anyone know what diode this is & how much current I can run to it safely?

Not much of a build & I'm sure what I have is outdated but this my first laser build but definitely won't be the last. Any help is much appreciated.

The diode looks like a low power diode from early Blu-Ray readers.

Pin out should be: photodiode, + infrared, + red, + violet, - case.

Thanks. So not worth using? Any idea how much current I can push to it without being short lived? I do have a few 803Ts but didn't want to waste one in this unless there's no sense in even using the diode that's in it now. Was planning on just giving these away.

Thanks for posting this. Even though this diode is outdated and low powered, it is pretty cool.
I have never seen this diode before.
I'm going to keep a eye out for 2 or 3, just to have another "weird" LD pointer.