Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Funny firework story

mw1111

their not really too hard to make, but yea i see that you need a lil more power with that setup, jesus entire plates in the water? i use something along the lines of a 12 guage wire and an alligator clip onto 2 quarters, works fine, even if its a LITTLE slow

mw1111 said:
their not really too hard to make, but yea i see that you need a lil more power with that setup, jesus entire plates in the water? i use something along the lines of a 12 guage wire and an alligator clip onto 2 quarters, works fine, even if its a LITTLE slow

thats about what i use to do, but i am too impacient to wait on it so I made it bigger. :eek:

attached; another cool picture. oxy-hydrogen bubbles exploding

Attachments

• Picture_3167.jpg
    Picture_3167.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 812
are-you-kidding-me???

That is freaking amazing! I can't believe it, using a car battery as power source, drawing 90A!!!

You might consider using two modded 500W ATX PSUs, which can supply up to 40A @ 12V (if modded, don't ask me about it).
What do you use as fluid, just water with salt or some other ionizing "stuff"?
Is O2/H2-Generation fast enough that you could use it as a torch (= contiuous gas generation stable/plenty enough to sustain a flame)?
What material are your plates made out of? Iron? The results I got with iron was some weird green slimey stuff that, when dried, turned to brown powder...I had considered to use graphite electrodes before but you'd need a lot of pencils for that ;)

Crap, that is so cool! Gotta make one of them!

Rasel

If you want to get a lot more a lot faster, put zinc in with hydrochloric acid. It can fill an entire 12" balloon with hydrogen in less than a minute. Plus you get to watch a little show while you're waiting :D. Obviously, the only problem is getting your hands on zinc and HCl.

Best way is to put HCl in a GLASS (don't use plastic lol) bottle then drop in the zinc and quickly cover the top with a balloon.

i used cheap stainless steel as plate and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). the iron in the plates reacts with the oxygen generated on the positive plate making a brown sludge. it can run an extreamly small torch, but for only for about a minute. its very unefficent and will boil the fluid with 10 minutes of opperation. it could run for more than a minute, but the circuit breaker i have as the switch trips every minute. its too small being rated at 60 amps.

i also have a cannon that runs off of the gas. hears a few vids i made of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4rgfvQGnHs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa6kaj-oO1U

freakety-freakfreak!

What do you have inside the gun, H² or a 50:50 mix of H²-O²?

That'd be an interesting concept for an "electric" airsoft gun

its 2 parts H[sub]2[/sub] and one part O[sub]2[/sub].

the balanced chemical reaction goes as followed  2H[sub]2[/sub] + O[sub]2[/sub] yields 2H[sub]2[/sub]O

Yeah, that's what I meant. But you do put an explosive mixture in there, ok, that's what I wanted to know.

Benm

You must be in a great hurry to produce that h2/o2 mix!

If you want to get a lot more a lot faster, put zinc in with hydrochloric acid. It can fill an entire 12" balloon with hydrogen in less than a minute.

Chemical generation works much better indeed, but it does not produce the oxygen required for the really loud balloon bangs.

One even more amazing reaction is using a 1:1 hydrogen/chlorine gas mixture. The reaction is more violent then h2/o2, and also photosensitive - triggered by sunlight but also photoflash. Don't attempt this unless you are crazy and have experience with chemistry though - chlorine and the resulting HCl gas are obviously hazardous, even if you arent injured by the explosion the cloud of hydrochloric acid can still get you ;)

That one is pretty insane!

But it is a cool demonstration th show that a hydrogen flame will continue burning under a chlorine atmosphere.

[quote author=Rasel link=1185724823/15#21Obviously, the only problem is getting your hands on zinc and HCl.[/quote]

Not a problem!
HCL is easily attainable in pool supply stores, and hardware stores around here, for changing the pH of pools.
Zinc you can get from your hardware store in the form of nails.
:D

i dont think there is enouth zinc on hareware to be useful because it is just plated on, not solid.

Benm

For the americans, zinc costs pennies, literally... dollar cents are made of copper plated zinc. Just cut them in half and the HCl will dissolve them.

Rofl.

That's like when I found the toilet cleaner with hydrochloric acid in it.

Needless to say, I was outside with our bottled water and the aluminum foil rather quickly.

After the first one, dad ran outside, wondering what it was, then came looking for me, and as soon as he finds me, what happens?

Yeah, I had just set up another little draino bomb before he walked over there.

Good thing he thought it was pretty cool. xD