Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: SolarForce L2P Kit! - 18650 Host With Massive Heatsink...

jayrob

clong1984, I'm sending your SolarForce 'Hot' option kit today. (Wednesday)

Hope you like it!

Solar Force 445 @ 750ma
I made a diode socket to easily change diodes and dummy loads.
Low rain clouds last night made an awesome show with mirror ball in backyard.

Jays kits RRRROCK!

Laterzzz,
Jeff

Attachments

• solar socket1.jpg
    solar socket1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 281
  • solar socket2.jpg
    solar socket2.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 272
  • solar socket3.jpg
    solar socket3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 276
  • mirroball1.jpg
    mirroball1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 328
  • solar socket4.jpg
    solar socket4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 192

jayrob

Hey glad you like it! :)

Just a friendly warning about your diode socket. It is normally recommended to solder the driver leads to the diode because even a very slight short in the connection could kill the diode. The driver cap would charge and discharge too much voltage in an instant.

That said, your diode socket could very well last and last. It looks like it is made for this very purpose. But just a warning...

wonder if this will work to insert images into the forum - nope, I cant figure out how to make the images come up like everyone else does so sorry

I got the hot option and it is set to 1090ma

for some reason I dont have the pics I took of it outside at night, but there are 2 short videos if you go and download this file and extract it, the pics are also there

http://www.mediafire.com/?dwc5tmw4xfshr6e

Last edited:

jayrob

Nice little slide show! It's like a little tutorial of the assembly...

If you like your lens focus ring to sit a little more 'flush' with the heatsink face at focus, this can be adjusted by moving your module a little farther into the heatsink.

With this kit, that adjustment is very easy to do since the heatsink/module/driver is all 'one piece'. Just unscrew the head of the host, and make the adjustment with the module set screw...

yea you can use the pics as a tutorial of sorts on how to put it together - if I had soldered everything like the leads to the board and stuff (if you didnt do the hot option for me) I would have posted them also

maybe my next build

the focusing ring is to small to be turned properly with the larger bezel on it so I was going to make a new one thats larger - I dont have a lathe but I can get access to one, if not then I will order it from you if thats possible

I noticed that if I put the lens cap on (the rubber button thingie) its easier to turn and was going to just cut the center out and leave the rubber around the outside of the focus ring so it can be turned better

I have already burned my fingers so much I look like a crack smoker, lol - but seriously though it will burn me in 1 second of so and thats quick for someone with white skin - my friend who is black (or really brown) got a burn on his arm from it that looked like someone took a hot wire and pressed it onto his flesh - this was at about 3 meters away and he instantly yelled and smoke came up - dont worry we were wearing glasses and it was his idea

so if you are dark skinned you should be more careful then pale white nerds like me

its funny I got to get pics but it looks crazy, like a varicose vein on an old lanys leg but only a ashy color - its all wiggly and stuff because it was at distance and its hard to hold it steady - he turned instantly away and it made a line as he turned, as if it was a black trash bag, lol

I know, I know this is exactly what people are not sosposta do with lasers but we are wearing glasses and we both know whats going on

Hey leftkidney, you coud always go the cheap cheap route like I did and just bend a paper clip into a lever of sorts that clings around the edge of the focus ring. Looks crappy but it works! I'm waiting for my next SolarForce heatsink to arrive from Jay... I love this host!

Hey leftkidney, you coud always go the cheap cheap route like I did and just bend a paper clip into a lever of sorts that clings around the edge of the focus ring. Looks crappy but it works! I'm waiting for my next SolarForce heatsink to arrive from Jay... I love this host!

maybe, but I just took some shrink tube and layered it on there intil its thick enough - it looks nice

one thing I was wondering is these lasers are so close to UV that I have been told it can cause skin cancer - probably the 405's are worse but still

if thats the case then can I get skin cancer on my finger tips from where the laser touches it when I focus the beam?

if I dont get a response I will maybe create a new topic for this question because I assume that other people want to know also

AFAIK the cancer causing range starts around 395nm and goes from there. I don't think 405 or 445 will cause any skin cancer... just painful burns :)

jayrob

bbahamsa, I sent your SolarForce kit and other items today. (Friday)

Thanks!

bbahamsa, I sent your SolarForce kit and other items today. (Friday)

Thanks!

I can't wait to throw a 445 or 12x 405 in this beast. Already bought one of the same hosts as spare parts and the quality is excellent.

Actually, just thought; the Aixiz 445 lenses I also ordered, are they ok for 405nm output? No problem if not, I can always order one or two elsewhere if necessary.

I'll be asking you for a couple of those 405 G1's at some point, no doubt.

Thanks again Jayrob :)

jayrob

Cenobite9, I sent your SolarForce heatsink and 405-G-1 today. (Tuesday)

Thanks!

jayrob

Viktor, I'm sending your SolarForce kit and other items today. (Wednesday)

Thanks for your patience...

Hope you like it!

Cool!!! I just noticed your update in this thread... can't wait to get this thing together.