Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: ***Selectable test load up to 3A (assembled or DIY kit)*** IN STOCK!

I'm sorry what I meant was that in parallel they would be able to handle double the rated wattage. In series they would still only be able to handle 5W, but then I see how it would still work since it would still dissipate about the same wattage as in parallel.

My main point was if you were making new boards you might want to consider revising the design for using two resistors. As it is though they work great.

I'll put some thought in it and maybe do small batch to see if there is any interest

And the test loads are back in stock! :beer:

I saw that you should use 4 jumpers for blue. Is this true for the 9mm diode?

The 9mm 445s have a higher Vf than the regular 445s, but only by a little bit. I think they top out at 4.8V @ 2A

Blue is blue. It shouldn't matter.

This isn't very true. PL450 diodes for example use significantly higher voltage than a M140 and 9mm diodes use less voltage than an M140.

At 2.1A my test load is at the correct 4.9V for a 9mm on the second jumper. For currents 1.8A and over for an M140 I use the third jumper.

The 9mm 445s have a higher Vf than the regular 445s, but only by a little bit. I think they top out at 4.8V @ 2A

Haha, I found quite the opposite actually. My M140s typically draw 5.1V to as high as 5.6V.

Last edited:
Sooooooooo, for a 9mm @ 2.3a, what jumper should I use? Had a hard time deciphering ur last message :D

#3 would be a good fit. Be careful your pushing the current limit on that 9mm! I'd dial it down just a tad to be safe. :beer:

I would say the second jumper may actually be closer in voltage but being a little over isn't really bad either. Its under that seems to be the worst idea.

9mm diodes typically can actually handle 2.5A easy enough if you have a large enough heatsink. Typically I would suggest 2.1A for long life, 2.3A for power, and 2.5A for an all or nothing laser. My exp shows that a 9mm can handle up to even 3A but there are usually little to no output benefits and the life span would decrease.

@irishluck: Yes, they're in stock! I only have 1 available and 1 pending payment.

@AliceInChains: PM replied!

I'll have to edit the first post for future changes because for some reason the thread title can't be changed. And I also forgot to change my signature :eek: