Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Red laser torch based on the MXDL & SenKat LD

xgeek

I have had a couple of PMs asking if I would be interested in selling one of the laser torches I made based on Daedal's project:-
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870

Well I did make 5 and the plan was to keep 2 and sell 3 to the guys at work, but as there has been interest here I don't mind selling them to forum members.

Description:-
Laser torch based on the DX MXDL torch with a SenKat LD and Daedal driver circuit (including Capacitor and reverse polarity diode)
The driver circuit is set to deliver 250mA to the LD so based on the Sony data-sheet the torch is putting out between 150 mW and 230 mW. I have not got a laser meter but I can attest to the burning power of the torch (Match burn video).

I would highly recommend trying to build your own torch rather than buying mine, but if you have messed up your SenKat LD or don't have the skill-set or patiance to do so then mine is an option.

The torches cost me about £32 pounds each to make in parts (see cost break down below), plus you need access to a dremel with cutters, soldering station, various tools and a couple of hours of your time if you do want to make your own.

I am asking for £60 for each torch + shipping and they will be shipped with a packet of 2 new unopened Energizer CR123 batteries so you can get burning straight away (would rather just ship to the UK but open to international shipping if that is what you want).

If anyone is interested or you have any questions please let me know.

BTW this is my first sale so I don't have any references from forum members but we all have to start somewhere ;D

Many thanks for looking.

Cheers
XG

laser_torch.jpg

laser_torch1.jpg

DSC00458 [800x600].jpg

DSC00461 [800x600].jpg

power.png

cost.png

H

High_Octane

Re: FS: Red laser torch based on the MXDL & SenKat

I'm building a few myself, but I am still interested in purchasing one of yours... pending a PM from another deal I was working on this morning, I should have an answer soon.

H

High_Octane

Just so you know, The Deal went through.

Thanks though, Great price, You should have no problems selling them.

xgeek

NP. Good luck with your new torch and thanks for looking.

What are these modules outputting?

"The driver circuit is set to deliver 250mA to the LD so based on the Sony data-sheet the torch is putting out between 150 mW and 230 mW."

im kinda worried about how long these diodes last.

xgeek

I have no idea how long they last. You take the same risk making your own and driving them with daedal's driver. All I have done is taken the build risk out of the equation and deliver a working torch. After that you are on your own.

Daedal

Nicely done XG ;D That torch of yours is quite the looker ::) Are you paying royalties? :p (Just kidding ;D)

Well... to help you out... I've had one running for over a month, and those of you that know me... know that i walk around with some kind of laser beam shooting out from near me... so... it was used used quite a bit. The batteries still haven't nudged and the laser diode is still shining bright! If there is anything I can tell about the SenKat GB diodes it's that they are HOT! They can withstand a lot of misuse and abuse and will keep on kicking! ;D

GL XG with selling these... that's a good solid host and I can testify to that ;)

--DDL

yes8s

Quick question:

The board with the LM317 + res's... Is that the original PCB that comes in the torch only modified??

Thanx

xgeek

Yes that is the original PCB that comes with the torch minus the original resistor. As you can see from the photos you have to enlarge the hole in the PCB housing to allow the LM317 to poke through. You also need to cut the heat-sink off the LM317 so the bottom of the AixiZ housing does not short on the heat-sink. Even with cutting the heat-sink off I had to trim around 10mm off the bottom of the AixiZ housing so I had enough clearance.

Any questions regarding this mod though are best answered in the original thread by Daedal:-
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870

Cheers
XG

I am going to pm you, i might want to buy one.

jayrob

xgeek sent me one to California, U.S. and I got it the next day! Quality work. First thing I did was pop a balloon at 20 feet! Then lit a match at 5 feet. Great job! Unbelievable shipping and communication!
Thanks Stephen!
Jay

xgeek

Yay I now have some sellers feedback. :D
Glad you like it Jay and many thanks for a smooth transaction.

I must admit I am stunded at how quick it got to you. I shipped it at 3:00pm GMT on the 26th from London and Jay signed for it at 10:00am PST on the 27th. That is 27 hours door to door!!!!!

Happy burning and play safe.

XG

Hi Xgeek,

Do you have any of these torches left. I am interested in buying one.
thanks !