Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Mini Mag Kit with FlexDrive! Red or Blu-ray...

jayrob

Couple of things...

That host from DX does not include the round circuit board for battery contact. So you will have to find a board that fits the bottom of the pill.

Also, for a blu-ray build, you would want to use a FlexDrive. Which means that the best battery choice will be a single 18650.

And yes, I have those hosts, so I can easily make a heatsink for it. It would be $23 dollars plus $3 dollars shipping.

Just send me a PM...

LaSeRs

i have orderd the circuit bord and do i neet to take all the things of it of should i leve them on it.

jayrob

If your round contact board has a driver built onto it, you will need to remove the components, and then get two lead wires for your FlexDrive input. (positive and negative)

Last edited:

jayrob

You will need to remove the components, and get positive and negative lead wires...

The positive will need to be a contact point that will make a connection to the center of the board where the battery will make contact. And the negative will need to make contact with the threaded aluminum pill that the board mounts into.

This is your negative contact point. The pill has bare metal threads to contact to the host.

Usually you can just solder the edge of the board to the brass ring that presses into the pill, and find the contact point that makes a connection to the outer 'ring' of the board.

Alternatively, you can also choose to get your negative connection to the FlexDrive from the diode. If it is a red build, the diode case pin is the negative, so it will already be getting the contact from the host via the heatsink. But for a blu-ray build, you would just make sure to solder the diode case pin together with the negative pin... (but I like to get positive and negative leads to the driver at the pill when I can. Less chance of getting a bad connection to the diode and killing it)

Last edited:
i think im gonna buy just the pieces so i can make myown, but do you think you could make a ez focus adapter for it, since the housing is sticking out of the minimag? thanks

jayrob

Yes I can, but I would need your finished build to get it just right.

A couple of factors play into the measurements of the EzFocus adapter.

Basically, where the lens sits at focus, in relation to the front of the host. But it will depend on what lens you are using, as well as your module position inside the heatsink...

Yes I can, but I would need your finished build to get it just right.

A couple of factors play into the measurements of the EzFocus adapter.

Basically, where the lens sits at focus, in relation to the front of the host. But it will depend on what lens you are using, as well as your module position inside the heatsink...

Ok I'll pm you about the heat sink/ spacer cause I have my own minimag. Could I send you my minimag when it's done and have you make me one? Btw I'm making a blu Ray if it makes any difference. Thanks Jay.

oh, what is the ground wire soldered to? cause it looks like you soldered it to the plastic piece. i asked this because it says that the ground wire is the negative lead, and a lead needs electricity, and its not going to get it from plastic. Also, what did you use to "clip" the black plastic piece down to size to fit the driver?
*edit* oh i just went back and read the first caption and got my answer for my first question (I think), but what is the ground wire then? (sorry i have a lot of questions)

Last edited:

jayrob

I sent your heatsink/sleeve/o-ring today. (Thursday)

The host itself is ground. (battery negative to tail cap switch)

You need to get the negative input lead to the driver to touch the host.

I showed one way to do it, but you could also use the diode case pin if you wanted to. In this case, you would not need the little wire I showed. Just your positive lead to FlexDrive. And the negative would come from the diode.

As long as the heatsink is touching bare metal. If not, then you just file off the anodized area where the heatsink would be touching when tightened, and then you could use the diode case pin to be the 'ground to driver'. But the Mini Mag has anodized threads at the head, so this may be a problem for getting good ground from the host to heatsink.

A FlexDrive only needs one ground connection. Most of the time, I like to give ground from the host or pill, and then connect the positive and negative driver outputs to the diode. Because there is less chance of a bad connection, which could kill your diode.

But if you have a good connection from your heatsink to your host, then it is fine to get the ground from the diode case pin.

With a red build, the case pin is the negative. With a blu-ray build, you would just solder the case pin to the negative pin, and then the negaive wire to your FlexDrive...

See the 4th wiring diagram in the FlexDrive documentation:
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/MicroFlexDrive_V5_manual.pdf

Last edited:
so because i am building a blu ray, i would solder the positive lead like shown in your tutorial, and my negative to the lip of the mini mag?

jayrob

You won't be able to solder to aluminum...

In my tutorial of how I did this build, I am using the bare metal aluminum sleeve to press against the wire that feeds the Flexdrive negative input. The sleeve is touching a bare metal point in the Mini Mag host. (at the tip of the barrel, on the inside - see first picture)

lazer

I got my phr build working on monday with your pocket mini kit. :) It looks really cool. I used a dot of hot glue to isolate the input and output lead of the flexdrive from the pill. i couldnt get the electric tape I had to wrap around the connections very well but the hot glue drop worked perfectly. Now I am considering a mini mag. ;)

Last edited: