Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS J.BAUER Electronics LaserBee 2.5 Watt USB only + Data Logging.. In Stock Now

chefla

Re: J.BAUER Electronics LaserBee 2.5 Watt USB only + Data Logging $129.99.. In Stock

Just finished my first few measurements with my LaserBee: I love it!
Only thing I am wondering, how do I measure 200-300mW green lasers which I can not defocus? Or is it ok to measure a 300mW beam which only has 2mm diameter?

One suggestion: I think it would be nice if you put the user instructions pdf in your first post. So everybody can familiarize themselves with the new unit while waiting for it to arrive.

And one last point: I installed everything according to your instructions but during the USB driver installation Win XP was looking for ser2pl.sys? I downloaded it from the web since I could not find it on your CD. Is that ok? The unit seems to be working fine and the measurements are where I expected them to be (more or less ;-)

Re: J.BAUER Electronics LaserBee 2.5 Watt USB only + Data Logging $129.99.. In Stock

Your Laser with a beam diameter of 2mm at 200mW-300mW will
not damage the sensor coating.
You only need to respect the max Power Density which can be
calculated by the Min 3mm @ 2500mW rating stated in the User
Instructions.

Max Rating
3mm dia. = ~7.07mm2
2500mW/7.07 = ~353.6mW/1mm2
353.6mW X 100 = 35.36 Watts/cm2

Your Laser
At 2mm dia = 3.14mm2
300mW/3.14 = 95.5mw/1mm2
95.5mm2 X 100 = 9.55 Watts/cm2

Which is well bellow the Max Rating...

I'll look into the ser2pl.sys file issue.. First time for that one.
I'll PM you when I find something.

Jerry

Last edited:

chefla

Alright, this makes sense. I read the "We have tested these
sensors to 2600mW with a beam diameter of 3.0mm and the sensors showed no sign of degradation."
paragraph but I did not conclude from it that the power density would have to be observed. Yes, your math makes sense. Maybe you could add a note about the max power density in the instructions? Then everybody can do the math for themselves...
Maybe the ser2pl.sys issue is due to my custom build computer and, in places, unusual software installations???:whistle: But in your case, I followed your instructions and installed both USB drivers, prior to restarting and hooking up the LaserBee. Anyway, it is up and running fine!

Alright, this makes sense. I read the "We have tested these
sensors to 2600mW with a beam diameter of 3.0mm and the sensors showed no sign of degradation."
paragraph but I did not conclude from it that the power density would have to be observed. Yes, your math makes sense. Maybe you could add a note about the max power density in the instructions? Then everybody can do the math for themselves...
Maybe the ser2pl.sys issue is due to my custom build computer and, in places, unusual software installations???:whistle: But in your case, I followed your instructions and installed both USB drivers, prior to restarting and hooking up the LaserBee. Anyway, it is up and running fine!
The LaserBee 2.5W USB LPM is rated at 2500mW... we tested
higher but rate it at 2500mW @ 3mm MINIMUM beam diameter
as stated in the User Instructions...

The reason we don't put a power density figure in the Instructions
is because the average user will NOT do any calculations... and after
possibly scotching his sensor would possibly respond with......
"you stated 35 Watts"...
(I agree that some users will read the instructions and understand
them clearly... but we are not all Technicians or Engineers... :))

In the Instructions... by stating a Max power of 2.5Watts at a
minimum 3mm beam Diameter and respecting that... a customer will
NEVER damage the Sensor's coating and can still "do the math
themselves to get the Power Density
" with the Max Power and Min
Beam profile.... ;)

We installed the EagleEye software on 1 old XP OS installation and
1 XP Pro installation we did today on a laptop and had no missing
files issues... As you say.. it could be your custom built Computer...

Glad to see that you got it working....:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:

drm916

Nevermind.. found it in the thread.

The packages get handed off to USPS.

Last edited:
Re: J.BAUER Electronics LaserBee 2.5 Watt USB only + Data Logging $119.99.. In Stock

To increase your input MAX power to test higher powered
Lasers you could use a tested ND filter...

Just an FYI for the thread, this is what I ended up doing. I got a 0.5" metallic ND filter with an optical density of 0.3 (which translates to almost exactly 50% transmission through the filter). I just used it to verify my Arctic S3 (after improvements) is now outputting over 1.5W.

The part number is ND-30-0.50 and it costs about $30. Here's a link:

https://www.cvimellesgriot.com/Products/Metallic-Neutral-Density-Filters.aspx

Re: J.BAUER Electronics LaserBee 2.5 Watt USB only + Data Logging $119.99.. In Stock

Just an FYI for the thread, this is what I ended up doing. I got a 0.5" metallic ND filter with an optical density of 0.3 (which translates to almost exactly 50% transmission through the filter). I just used it to verify my Arctic S3 (after improvements) is now outputting over 1.5W.

The part number is ND-30-0.50 and it costs about $30. Here's a link:

https://www.cvimellesgriot.com/Products/Metallic-Neutral-Density-Filters.aspx

This is a Sales Thread for a Laserbee 2.5W USB LPM....
It can easily read your 1.5W Laser without an ND filter
and have 1 Watt to spare.... :whistle:

Jerry

This is a Sales Thread for a Laserbee 2.5W USB LPM....
It can easily read your 1.5W Laser without an ND filter
and have 1 Watt to spare.... :whistle:

Jerry

I understand what the subject of the thread is. I was following up to a post made about a month ago:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/j...ing-129-99-stock-now-61644-10.html#post931061

The $30 filter extends the range of my LaserBee I to 2W for a lot less $$$ than a new LPM. Just trying to help out those in a similar situation.

I understand what the subject of the thread is. I was following up to a post made about a month ago:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/j...ing-129-99-stock-now-61644-10.html#post931061

The $30 filter extends the range of my LaserBee I to 2W for a lot less $$$ than a new LPM. Just trying to help out those in a similar situation.

I responded to your ND filter post because you made no
mention of a LaserBee I and since this is a Sales Thread
for a LaserBee 2.5W USB it made sense to mention that
a ND filter is not required to test a 1.5W Laser with the
LaserBee 2.5W USB LPM...

As was mentioned in that post from a month ago (that you
now link to) a standard tested Glass ND filter can be used
with the LaserBee I (or any LPM) and is much cheaper than
your ~$30.00 ND Filter for the hobbyist on a budget...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/52-mm-52mm-Neutral-Density-ND-8-ND8-Glass-Filter-Case-/320738445869?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item4aad804a2d

BTW...thanks for the link to that broadband ND filter you found...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:

drjava

Payment sent. Thanks

drm916

Received my laserbee on saturday. Exactly 6 days to ship from Canada to Atlanta Ga USA.

The device is very nice and the software install went fairly quickly (win 7 premium home 64bit netbook). Usage is pretty simple. Def worth the amount I paid for the unit.

The readout is not as slow as some people suggested. It seems to read fairly quickly for me on my 50-200mw lasers ( ~ 10 seconds). And even read up to 1.3w on a 445 diode in ~t 30 seconds (or less).

Thanks Jerry!

Received my laserbee on saturday. Exactly 6 days to ship from Canada to Atlanta Ga USA.

The device is very nice and the software install went fairly quickly (win 7 premium home 64bit netbook). Usage is pretty simple. Def worth the amount I paid for the unit.

The readout is not as slow as some people suggested. It seems to read fairly quickly for me on my 50-200mw lasers ( ~ 10 seconds). And even read up to 1.3w on a 445 diode in ~t 30 seconds (or less).

Thanks Jerry!

That's great... glad it showed up so quickly and that you
are happy with your new LaserBee 2.5W USB LPM...

I'm also glad to hear that you are getting some fast readings...:beer:

Jerry

UPDATE:

@ drjava

Your LaserBee 2.5 Watt USB LPM has been shipped...

please-490.gif
read the ENTIRE User Instructions BEFORE you
handle/use your new LaserBee LPM to assure years of
accurate and trouble free operation of your LaserBee
and Thermopile...

Jerry

drjava

thanks
I now have 7 DIY lasers. From input mA and graphs I estimate the blue one is 750mW 5 red ones are probably 300mW and a green one is maybe 150mW. I look forward to seeing what they really output. They all burn and do all the stupid laser tricks I see on youtube.

Don't forget to let us know what your Laser's outputs are when you
finally test them...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited: