Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Front window replacement on PL-E Pro series

This thread wont be too involved, just want to inform people of how to replace their front window in the PL-E Pro.

As some may know a few of the 473s came with just a glass window and not the correct IR filter it needs. This lead to a few high powered readings that everyone was excited about until the mistake was discovered. I was more worried about leaking IR than power.

I got my replacement window in from Hakzaw1 today wrapped in a little piece of cardboard. I could clearly see the tint to it was different than the window in the laser. It is similar to the one in my 532 so I know its an IR filter.

Removing the old window wasn't to hard once I figured it out. I have a SMD rework station (heat gun) on my solder station. Set it to 400 degrees and began to heat the lens and surrounding metal. My first attempt to pop the old window off resulted in a cracked of piece essentially ruining the laser had I not been able to get it off. I eventually figured out that It needed to have the heat present longer in order to degrade the epoxy holding it in place. I could see it turning colors and releasing its grip on the window. After that it just lifted up with some tweezers along with most of the epoxy. The rest was just pulled off with the tip of a flat head screwdriver.

Next I added a small bead of fresh epoxy around the outer skirt of the hole making sure not to get any on the threads for the front dust cover. All I had to do was drop in the new filter and wait for it to dry.

Results?

I believe these were 10-30mW if I remember correctly so its not underspec. No where near the output I originally thought. I will try it again bypassing the tailcap tomorrow. Its still as bright as it was before the filter as would be expected so I can't complain.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Speedy

IsaacT

Very detailed writeup! I am glad I thought to test these and even more glad that Jetlasers responded so well to the realizations! +1 to you sir!