Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Free high power IR diodes?

Well since used satellites are so easy to find nowadays, and more and more people are getting fiber optic internet service... Could this mean that there will be abandoned ONTs in the not too distant future containing High-Power 1310 nm Laser diodes? :thinking:

Don't at least some also use 1490nm & 1550nm? I hear the verizon FiOS ones do.
Would you know what power range the diodes tend be?

1310nm for upstream data. 1490nm for downstream data. 1550nm for QAM cable television.

As for power, i remember asking the serviceman and all he gave me was "enough to burn your hand."

Last edited:
Satellite boxes and dishes are readily available, so it's only a matter of time until ONT boxes are.

so it's only a matter of time until ONT boxes are.

Sorry for being naive, but i still don't follow. Could you explain it to me, so far
i 've only gathered it has diode for transmitting data optically?

EDIT:google turned up Optical Network Terminal

Last edited:
Sorry for being naive, but i still don't follow. Could you explain it to me, so far
i 've only gathered it has diode for transmitting data optically?

img_0820.jpg

From my own understanding, 5mw of light will travel for a good dozen miles without needing to be amplified. They don't usually use high power diodes just for safety reasons, since its just not necessary. I'm sure the longer transmission lines take more power, but because they can handle it. Most fiber lines can now carry up to 160 wavelengths. Thats 160 diodes modulated through one fiber. So you can have lots of power running through of fiber, but its not all from one wavelength, and one diode.

Last edited:
Hmmm....eyeballing FIOS box outside my window. LOL

Me too... i still have my theories about being watched by DirecTV, i'm pretty sure we're like 300$ in debt to them from 2yrs ago.. This may be my chance to take down their transmitter :eg: :tinfoil: