Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Free (almost) metal project boxes

danq

I posted this idea in the DIY power meter topic, but it might be useful to others too:

People often ask where to get metal project boxes... and I found an excellent source for free!

Having paid $27 or so each for DVD burners just to get the laser diodes, when another project came up I decided to use the DVD burner housing for a project box instead of buying one of those rather expensive aluminum ones. The DVD case is nearly perfect - roomy but compact, strong, stable... and if I wanted, it could be mounted in my computer (and use its power).

The front panel of the DVD unit is easily modified, being just ABS plastic. It's fairly simple to cut out holes for controls, meters, switches etc; and you can use ABS glue with slices of ABS to mount things on the backside of the panel.

The top, sides and back are steel so give better rf shielding than aluminum boxes, and are stronger.

By the way, there is a lot of good stuff in that DVD unit! Motors, electronic parts, optics, flat connectors... makes the LD a real bargain with all those 'free' extras.

:)
DanQ

yeah, i noticed that when i destroyed my cd writer (just to learn what it had inside..)

thats a very good idea =)