Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Found an LM317 in Philips CDR765

Falco

I was going to remove the lm317t and toss the rest of this power supply aside but i thought maybe id share here and see if anyone will have any better ideas. I'll include some pictures of board as well as an image of the power supply circuit diagram that i pieced together from a pdf of a jigsaw puzzle made with the service manual for the CDR765.

you know how many times ive woken up my neighbors:tired: from all the sneezing? dusting off all the little components with my mustache... peering at the tiny numbers through my monocle:can:... ive opened up a lot of electronics over the years and i have never seen one of these. my life is nearly complete, all I need is your participation in this thread.:D

circuit diagram
photos
Service manual

Last edited:

Benm

I guess stripping that for just the regulator would be a bit of a waste.

The only thing odd is if it's actually an LM317 from TI in a philips product, but given the age of the product i suppose that's feasible too.

I guess nowadays you'd mostly find NXP parts in Philips branded equipment, though they may source components like 317's from other suppliers if they don't make them at NXP - a reasonable assumption for an ancient chip like that.

Wow, someone did their homework on noise filters...

For me, I would save the mosfets, inductors, and large caps, optoisolators, and zeners... like that TL431 down there. I'd personally ignore the LM317 simply because there isn't many places I can use it. Plenty of switch mode alternatives exist with more output and less heat. At the very minimum, if that fuse has leads on it, unsolder it and throw it in your fuse kit.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention a SMPS as an alternative to the LM317, as it is a SMPS it came out of.That old Philips CD player is ancient. I'll bet it cost $400.00 to $600.00 in its day.