Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focusing down in an aixiz

I tried this outside, and I was disappointed. :-[
The beam was less than that of my DX200
and the dot was total crap

potatorage said:
The dot is reasonable up close, but I can't tell how big it is far away because it looks like a blur.

I have a blu-ray and from about 10 feet the dot LOOKS like its bigger. If you go and walk over to the dot it will look smaller. Your eyes are confused because of the color trust me. ;)

potatorage said:
I tried this outside, and I was disappointed. :-[
Is it near total black outside? The beam should be much brighter than a DX200 red.

daguin

styropyro said:
[quote author=potatorage link=1213740528/12#16 date=1213758671]I tried this outside, and I was disappointed. :-[
Is it near total black outside? The beam should be much brighter than a DX200 red.[/quote]

This is sooooo variable and dependent on many things. My disappointment with the "brightness" of my first 405nm laser is what led me to this forum. I now understand the nature of the 405nm light better. I cannot even see the beam of my 165mW blu-ray unless there is moisture or smoke in the air. Does that mean my blu-ray is bad? No. It means that I need to add a visualizer to the air to see the beam. Others see it quite clearly and brightly without visualizers. Burn some incense. Run some hot water in the shower.

Peace,
dave

The beam brightness is also dependent on the person. Some people just have trouble seeing this color. You will not be able to focus your eyes on the dot from very far away either unless you have amazing eyes. It's not a problem with the focus of the laser being off, it's just that you have human eyes. What current are you running the diode at? When mine is at 90mA my DIY red is brighter, but when I turn it up to 120ish then the blu ray is brighter.

I tried incense, and it was amazing in my bathroom. But outside, it was horrible.

daguin

potatorage said:
I tried incense, and it was amazing in my bathroom. But outside, it was horrible.

Wait for a night with a higher amount of humidity (or even a foggy night). It will be just as bright as in your bathroom.

Peace,
dave

Sadly if you want the most WOWLAZER you should just go with green... my cheapy green 25mw is FAAAR brighter than 100mw of 405nm... and god forbit I bring out the DX 200mw greenie... It's a matter of sensitivity. Our eyes have a peak sensitivity near the 530nm spectrum... and pretty poor sensitivity at 405... or 680...

But hey the color is neat and it's almost like a black light. But seriously if you want to be wowed, it's gonna be green/yellow