Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focus problems

Frank T

have a new GX3, 532nm, 200mw laser that I purchased from Big Lasers in July. It was advertised as focusable, but I can not get the beam to do anything but diverge as I rotate the head outward. I have been work at this for 3 months, but no focal point/waist. I also bought the 2X beam expander from Dragon Lasers. I can not get a focal point using the beam expander either. Any suggestion???

GSS

If it's diverging then it's focusable, but what I think you mean is you cannot get it to the opposite point to where you can get a tight focus spot 1 or 2 inches from from the apature..
I have a similar host where it does the same.. This is yours I think?

You can unscrew and take of the front focus cap that has the lens in it.
You will see maby 2 notches on the brass barrel that holds the lens. Try to loosen that barrel and bring it in or out to when you put the cap back on you might get it focus both ways. There is usually glue on it so it might be hard to do..
Oh and on the front of that laser, the cap has a thick piece of silver paper or paper stock that looks like it metal. You can pull that off and you will see threading that also is for a star cap or beam expander I believe.

This is what you will see when you take the front paper part off..

Attachments

• IMG_20191101_094252.jpg
    IMG_20191101_094252.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Frank T

That sounds like a possible plan if I don't get satisfaction from Colin of Big Lasers. I do not want to void any warranty that is in effect however...

GSS

That sounds like a possible plan if I don't get satisfaction from Colin of Big Lasers. I do not want to void any warranty that is in effect however...
Good idea,
but really hate saying this but Big Lasers is the typical very expensive sight. They don't exaggerate power numbers but thats about it.
303 lasers for $90 and ebay $2 safety glasses for $30 is bad..
A bit late but I would think elsewhere if your ready to buy again ;)
The laser that I posted was for $8 with a charger..