Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

fluorescence under 532nm

drlava

Earlier I was 'testing' with a S-KY 250mW greenie and goggles, and noticed the pores on my arm fluoresced. Suprised, did a search here and what do you know it's been mentioned :) Still, it's a cool effect, it seemed to be somewhat deep as if it were the protiens in the follicle fluorescing or something. However the 532nm wavelength at CW does not appear to be appropriate for epilation.

Green isn't the only color that fluoresces pee. Shining a blu-ray in yellow toilet water (hey, I flushed it afterwards!) or even in your pee stream while wearing goggles looks REALLY cool. It makes a bright yellow beam.

-Mark

MERC

Pores also fluoresce bright orange under a black light.

D

Deleted member 8382

Schrecken_Licht said:
A piece of florescent orange plexiglass hit by a greenie (you can't see the beam because the camera is exposing for the brightness of the glow):

bf7.jpg

If you have a 473nm blue (argon @ 488 will do it too) that will also make things glow. Makes sense as blue is higher energy than green.

ough@ the IR light

Oddly enough the hair and fabric that makes some Red Nose Day items also flouresces an orangey shade, it was a big surprise when I was shining my green laser at a toy shelf and got a sudden burst of orange colour!

this thing is phosphorescent with a 532 nm light :

551wp8.jpg

Just a note about the difference between fluorescence and phosphorescence :

Unlike fluorescence, a phosphorescent material does not immediately re-emit the radiation it absorbs. The slower time scales of the re-emission are associated with "forbidden" energy state transitions in quantum mechanics.
In simple terms, phosphorescence is a process in which energy absorbed by a substance is released relatively slowly in the form of light. This is in some cases the mechanism used for "glow-in-the-dark" materials which are "charged" by exposure to light

typycal fluorescent stuff are uranium marble :)

Ulao

I know I am very late to this discussion but I ran across this phenomenon a while back. I knew that longer wavelength than uv could produce fluorescence but was quite surprised at how easily it could be seen. As pointed out many objects exhibit green light fluorescence but most are man made. I am a bit surprised to learn of the number of natural fluorescent things y'all have found. I wouldn't be surprised that some flowers might be similarly fluorescent and I will look for that next summer. But back to man-made objects. You probably won't find many older objects that do. This is (I think) because two brothers (Switzer) found that certain pigments had such properties and developed and patented them. They found some use in world war II but for the most part lay unused till about 1960. At that time they were commercially marketed under the trade name DayGlow and became increasingly successful. I remember seeing some of the first DayGlow products (mostly toys) which were surprisingly bright in daylight but we are now so used to them we hardly notice. I suspect that it is these kinds of pigments that are now common especially in plastic parts. Shine your laser on things made in the fifties and you won't see the effect.
I ran across the phenomenon while trying to extract flavor from tobacco with propylene glycol. After running (rather unsuccessful) tests on the extract it sat for several weeks when I absently shone my green pointer on it and was surprised to see a yellow orange (one would be tempted to call it Brown) beam. I have since repeated the test and confirmed that it takes some time to develop. Just tonight I shined it through two samples of olive oil and saw that same color in one of them.