Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flashlight Review: Power on Board 3500 Lumen HID Spotlight

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Decided to redo this review since I have a better camera now and can retake all the pictures as well as update some of the info. I'll probably add some more pictures over the next few days, I'd really like to get some outdoor shots with this light but I'll have to find a place remote enough so I won't have the whole neighborhood thinking "WTF!" but also close enough that my shoulder doesn't separate and my wrist doesn't snap from carrying this massive light. :p

This is a Power on Board 3500 Lumen HID Spotlight, I bought it on eBay all the way back in 2009 for $50. It uses an 35 watt 6000 K metal halide bulb, and runs off its own internal rechargeable lead acid battery. It includes it's own 120 volt AC and 12 volt DC charging adapter to charge the battery. When you first turn it on, it will often take a few seconds to reach full brightness, this is normal for an HID bulb. Once on this light is on it is unbelievable bright, a very pure white light that travels forever. It is almost too bright for most applications. It is also quite big and heavy, weighing almost 10 pounds, this is not something you want to be carrying around for any length of time. Battery life is decent, about an hour of on time for a full charge, which is pretty good considering this light's amazing power.

Pros: Extremely bright, fairly long run time, very good price, very nice color light, robust housing, internal rechargeable battery

Cons: VERY heavy, quite large, can be too bright for many applications

The MAJOR problem with this light is the weight. At nearly 10 pounds it's uses are basically limited to around the house. I've always thought of switching out the MASSIVE lead acid battery for a something else. Not sure if this could be done while keeping the charging circuits or not. It would sure make this a much more useful light as the battery is probably 80% of the total weight.

Pictures:

Side view of the light showing the port where the charger connects and the four small LEDs that show how much power the battery has remaining.

Size comparison with a Maglite 3D, Maglite Mini, and standard Newwish host.

The "business end".

A close up of the bulb.

Spot comparison with (right to left) Maglite Mini, Maglite 3D LED, HID.

Comparison with eBay 532 and 660nm lasers. Unfortunately don't know what power they are, but probably around 50mW.

A short video comparing the HID with the same Maglite 3D as above.

Massive? Have you seen this?
IMAG0512-660x373.jpg

BTW looking forward to the beamshots as well

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Holy crap biggest risk of that is that you'd get shot when someone mistakes for some kind of anti-tank missile. :p

Reminds me, the Power On Board Spotlight is probably NOT waterproof. I have got it slightly wet before (like pretty much all my stuff at some point lol) but I wouldn't recommend getting it soaked or who knows what will happen. lol