Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fixing “SMP” Sci-fi 1.8w 445nm laser. Where to start?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, you did learn a lot today, now you know your laser inside and out, and you also learned that the Joker couldn't build a laser for $hit! :)

Good job on getting your laser up and running, it's in better condition now than it was the day you bought it!

GSS

Sorry I guess I should probably just scrap this thing after reading how much of a total douche Eitan is/was...But I never throw anything away that can be fixed

Still not perfect due to some slight pitting in the Aluminum. And don’t have a bench top polisher yet so this was done by hand.

uNhfrIG.jpg

GSS. If it isn’t an M140 diode then what would it be? And an LED driver? Elaborate?
I’d love to support more people in more hobbies by just buying a new build from someone... I have wayyyy to many hobbies to get into lasers, this is just a buy one and have one, barely a hobby type thing

Just here for a bit of guidance on how to get this running if that’s ok?

Are diodes on eBay USED and the ones on survival lasers NEW? And what is the specific type of driver to replace this with. Sounds like I should get both...
Well, my diode had no marking's and I believe the the notches on the side of diode didn't match a M140. No one on the forum could identify it. When it arrived to me, the beam and spot was a awful big splash. I sent it to Lifetime17 and the diode window was bad, so he de canned it and it works well for now as its a open. Certain the majority of The Joker's diodes came out of really old and abused projectors.
I'm not saying yours is the same and kudos for attacking it and doing such a great job:):):)
Definitely ok to come here for guidance and this was a success post. "Finger's crossed".. Unless it to late the pic's show the diode pins way to close to each other with alot of excess solder and also to what looks like there was shrink wrap over both of them at some point which could of squeezed the pins together. I would wrap each pin individually and maby cut off the 3rd not needed pin.

Nvloc

Thanks to both of you :)
Yeah for some reason he wrapped the 2 wires with Teflon tape after soldering, then a single shrink tube over both. I cleaned them up with just enough solder and shrink wrapped them both separate. Probably should’ve cut the 3rd wire right off but clipped off about 1/2 in case it was even needed for something.

Could someone I’d what type of DRIVER that is?
And would de canning the diode fix the beam so it isn’t a line? Will have to search what that means

Cheers

If you find yourself having to repair this laser again, you might consider replacing the spring contacts on the driver and the tail switch. You can pick them up on eBay if necessary.

GSS

That rectangle spot and beam profile is most likely caused by the lens if it's a G2. You can tame it a bit with a 3 element lens but you will lose about 30% of output power.
Maby someone can chime in about the driver as I don't know but mine came with a cheap one meant for LED lights which are noisy and very unstable at running the correct currant.