Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FIXED! - Omnichrome HeCd laser (pics)

Hi all....
I'm still trying to get a HeCd laser I have up and going again. I've put it on LPF and did get some very good help on what to check, etc, but still not luck with getting it going.
Does anyone here know of where I could take it or who I could contact preferably near Melbourne, Australia that might be able to get it going for me? Thanks heaps.
Here are some photos of the laser......
The power supply;
o7n6o4.jpg

hwjwvt.jpg

The head;
10f19xh.jpg

seszkj.jpg

zwkcic.jpg

2vtxvtw.jpg

The problem is that I'm getting three blinks for the error light after system is turned on and self check completed. This mean 'filament current error'.

Last edited:

Problem FIXED!!!!!
After months of looking through the laser head and power supply with a completely puzzled look on my face, putting it away, coming back to it, giving up again and so on.....I have finally found the problem and the laser is now working sweetly.
The problem was so simple. A wire inside the head was pressed up against and rubbed through to the tube chassis creating a short and returning an error to the PSU. Moved the wire.....problem solved. Wow! And to think I almost gave up on this thing entirely. It was very close to having the tube removed for display purposes and the rest being scrapped.
Many thanks goes to the guys in the other thread I started about this laser who generously offered their knowledge and expertise as much as they could on these forums.

OK....some photos of it working....
You can just see part of the glowing laser tube through the cooling slits.
eqphqu.jpg

The beam looks almost completely clean in reality and is a purple colour.., but not so through the camera lens.
4goyzp.jpg

Very hard to pick up the actual colour of the laser light with the camera.
2vlntki.jpg

Looking towards the tube output end
2jbqyo9.jpg

Wow. Very nice. This, HeCd, is still the gap in my collection... (well, also maybe KrIon)

( I just won an "unknown condition" HeCd (head only) Omnichrome 74 on ebay, which I'm suspecting will never, ever work :) But the price was right ($40 shipped) -- I'm still expecting a box full of broken glass :) )

I really gotta ask, Rob - Do you have a 445 running yet? I really would be interested in seeing the wavelength difference visibly between 445 and HeCd 442. Probably not much, but... I've been surprised before. (632.8 vs 640).

With Australia's tight rules on lasers, it's really amazing, the ones you come up with :) If I didn't live "as far as humanly possible" from you, shipping-wise, I'd probably be trying to convince you to sell a lot more of these :)