Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fix a laser

Hello. I buy my first green laser (SDLaser 301) few days ago. Laser stop working after 5 seconds :/ I remove a upper part. I saw one small think, it wasn't hard to remove. I lost this. I remember, it have a lens on top, and something green, like a small crystal. I can fix it, or I must buy new module?
When I turn on laser, I see this: [Photo]
Sorry for bad english.

Attachments

• 2jamdxw.jpg
    2jamdxw.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 150

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Do not stare into that laser! You have removed the KTP/(Nd:YAG/Nd:YVO4) crystals and now you are just getting IR. That was the principle mechanics of the laser. I am sorry to say it, but you have broken that laser as it is unlikely even if you do find it, that you haven't damaged the crystals, or will be able to realign it.
The laser is a DPSS meaning Diode Pumped Solid State. You have a high powered 808nm IR laser to pump a piece of Nd:YAG or Nd:YVO4 crystal which converts the laser to 1064nm. You then have a second harmonic generation (SHG) crystal which frequency doubles the 1064nm beam to become 532nm (green). Without those crystals, you just have a high powered 808nm laser unfocused.

Last edited:

diachi

Do not stare into that laser! You have removed the KTP/(Nd:YAG/Nd:YVO4) crystals and now you are just getting IR. That was the principle mechanics of the laser. I am sorry to say it, but you have broken that laser as it is unlikely even if you do find it, that you haven't damaged the crystals, or will be able to realign it.
The laser is a DPSS meaning Diode Pumped Solid State. You have a high powered 808nm IR laser to pump a piece of Nd:YAG or Nd:YVO4 crystal which converts the laser to 1064nm. You then have a second harmonic generation (SHG) crystal which frequency doubles the 1064nm beam to become 532nm (green). Without those crystals, you just have a high powered 808nm laser unfocused.

This - DO NOT look into that laser. As Curtis said, all you're left with now is 808nm. 808nm is almost completely invisible to the naked eye. That laser diode could be putting out hundreds of mW's and has the potential to easily cause permanent eye damage. VERY dangerous.

So, without the crystal only think I can do is change laser module? Or I can buy this crystal? Ps. I don't look in laser output, I watch using my phone.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
How much did you pay for the laser? In order to change the module you need to get another laser. As for buying another crystal set, it isn't as easily as just placing them in front of the IR beam, they need to be properly aligned and the output beam needs to be re-collimated as you lost the lens as well. Depending on how much you paid, it will probably work out more cost effective just to get yourself a new laser. Next time, know that it is not a good idea to take one apart if you have no experience of what you are dealing with. Good luck. :)

diachi

So, without the crystal only think I can do is change laser module? Or I can buy this crystal? Ps. I don't look in laser output, I watch using my phone.

Not worth the effort involved fixing it - you can buy another for <$10.

You could buy another module - but those hosts are a pain in the butt to take apart and put back together. You could also buy another crystal set, but getting it working the same will just be a royal pain in the butt too - you'd also need, at the very least, 808nm laser safety glasses to do it. By the time you include those costs you could buy another 4 or 5 complete pointers...

Not worth the effort involved fixing it - you can buy another for <$10.

You could buy another module - but those hosts are a pain in the butt to take apart and put back together. You could also buy another crystal set, but getting it working the same will just be a royal pain in the butt too - you'd also need, at the very least, 808nm laser safety glasses to do it. By the time you include those costs you could buy another 4 or 5 complete pointers...

You can recommend good and powerfull laser to 25$?

I asked sanwu specifically about the compatibility of the BE with the laser linked in my last post and was told it is. The BE uses the same threading as the pattern caps. I am also going to see how the BE works with dtr's 22mm modules using the adapter.

Last edited:

diachi

I asked sanwu specifically about the compatibility of the BE with the laser linked in my last post and was told it is. The BE uses the same threading as the pattern caps. I am also going to see how the BE works with dtr's 22mm modules using the adapter.

Huh! I stand corrected - that's good to know. :)