Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Timer Here!

Luxury

Luxury here,

I was quite interested in getting a laser. My first laser that it. I decided to go with green. Mainly because I did not want to mainly burn things, I love how it can be seen the farthest, especially the beam, and it should be great for pointing in the sky at stars, etc.

I had around $130 to spend.

I was going to go with Wicked Lasers, for there 15mW green nano ($100). I decided to do some looking, and within a few reviews saw people complaining about the shipping time and the total hassle to get there laser. I was kinda disappointed. I wanted a laser, but was not sure if I wanted to order from them. I did some research.

After many sites, I came across, Dragon Lasers. I pulled up there green lasers, and saw they were offering a 55mW green Viper, for $110. I was a little confused to see, them offering 30 more mW, for only $10 more. Then I read a ton of reviews. Literally all of them, said great things, about there shipping time, friendliness, and lasers were great them self, etc. I found who I was ordering from.

I did a tad more looking, and came across this forum. I was so excited to see many people on here, saying, the lasers they have gotten from Dragon Lasers, have been over spec (More mW than advertised I assume), and others saying they have had great lasers from them etc. I knew I was ordering from them. I went ahead and ordered the 55mW green Viper.

It slipped my mind, to even think, if lasers posed a hazard, and if I needed safety glasses. Looking around on here, I find mixed thoughts on the safety glasses, depending on what you do with the laser.

So what I ask. For a few quick tips or things you can tell me or that I should know, about owning and using the laser I ordered. (yes, I have read a bunch of threads and stuff on here, about safety, its a lot to take in, and a few people, telling me a few things would be more helpful)

And if I will need safety glasses, for, "Pointing the laser in the sky, pointing the laser in a wooded area, popping a balloon once in a while, inside or out"

Thanks, Luxury.

1-21-15 Edit -

Been testing the laser. Put fresh batteries into it. Was pretty bright and could be seen easy in the sky. After about a minute or two it got super dum, and the dot has a half circle a few inches from the dot. Did I get scammed lol? I tried to pop a red and green balloon with no luck. Please help. Pics here - http://imgur.com/a/gdpWu

Last edited:

Outside, when I am pointing the laser in the sky, if I have glasses on, will I be able to see the beam, and the dot?

No.. But if you are outside and just pointing in the SKY, you can take your glasses off. Because the laser can still cause damage when you point it at the ground outside.

Thanks for the information. Do you have any advice, where I should order/buy some safety glasses. This is the laser in case you need it. Green Laser Pointers : Dragon Lasers

And any thoughts on the laser,price,etc?

I think you made the right decision buying the 55mw from Dragon Lasers. The laser might be over-spec, so that might be around 65mw to 75mw. In that case any type of laser safety glasses (for green lasers). Like some from eBay or from their website. Here is a link to some very nice pairs: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

Remember to get safety glasses that are for green lasers.

Luxury

I think you made the right decision buying the 55mw from Dragon Lasers. The laser might be over-spec, so that might be around 65mw to 75mw. In that case any type of laser safety glasses (for green lasers). Like some from eBay or from their website. Here is a link to some very nice pairs: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

Remember to get safety glasses that are for green lasers.

Thanks. I will most likely order the safety glasses off Dragon Lasers, decent price, and hopefully they ship as fast as the laser does.

Any quick tips for a beginner?

Welcome to the forum! And I'm glad you went with Dragon Lasers instead of WL. They have a pretty good reputation and high quality products coming straight from CNI.

If you decide to add more lasers to your collection, Laserbtb (Skylasers), Sci-Fi Lasers, Jetlasers and Laser Glow are also some great places to buy from.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time on Laser Pointer Forums!

I have a 75mW viper 532nm from Dragonlasers (CNI makes them) that I bought in 2009.
The laser works just as good as the day I bought it and can tell you first hand you bought a great laser.
I recently metered my viper and got a peak of 122mW so you can expect to get more than 55mW for sure.

Post pictures when it arrives I'd like to see it and if you have any question you think I might be able to answer let me know

Luxury

I was not home to sign for the laser delivery Friday, and the post office was closed Saturday-Monday to pick it up.

So tomorrow I will be picking it up. I still have not gotten safety glasses, so until I do, I will strictly limit myself to pointing it in the sky.

If anyone can recommend some safety glasses, it would be appreciated. I will update with pictures tomorrow.