Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First time building laser

Hello
First of all, I would like to apologize for my weak English.
I want to build my first laser.
Can you tell me if these items will be good for me?
I want to connect it to arduino and make wood engraving machine.
Costs are of great importance here.

1.6W 1600mW Blue 445nm Laser Diode TO-18 5.6mm | eBay

Focusable Housing/Case/Heatsink for 5.6mm TO18 Laser Diode LD Module Lens Fan | eBay

12V TTL 1W 2W 3W 445nm 450nm Laser Diode LD Driver Power Supply Stage Light | eBay

I would be very grateful for your help :yh:

This is not my area of expertise, but I think you will need a driver that has PWM input as TTL will only turn the laser on or off. There are places online and on eBay that have kits to build an engraver. That might be a better way to go.

Thank You for fast reply :)
You are 100% right, but as I said the funds are very limited me. I can not afford the pwn module(they are much more expensive as i see) :cryyy::cryyy:
Once I save money, I will buy pwn module, but not now.
The more I wonder if these parts are good, whether they will fit together and whether it will not damage my LD ?

Do I need to buy something else besides TTL arduino control?

I don't think you'll have much of an egraver if you are only able to switch the laser diode on and off. It would be best to look for something that WILL work rather than make something that can't. You need to have a moving platform that can be controlled in two directions like an X axis and a Y axis and can move in both directions in each.

Last edited:
Anyone know how fast those aixiz drivers can be pulsed? Those are pretty cheap. Just gotta heatsink them real well

diachi

This is not my area of expertise, but I think you will need a driver that has PWM input as TTL will only turn the laser on or off. There are places online and on eBay that have kits to build an engraver. That might be a better way to go.

You can feed PWM into a TTL input. PWM is just turning the laser on and off really fast with varying duty cycle.

As I understand pwm is only needed to shades?

Yes, it's the best way with only digital input. You'll need basic on/off functionality at the least. TTL modulation input should work with PWM just fine.

You could change the engraving speed to get different shades but that'd be more difficult.

Last edited:
You could change the engraving speed to get different shades but that'd be more difficult.

I can make few gravering on one pice of wood.
The first pass will give me some shade, second some darker etc haha :D

I still do not know if this kit will fit and whether it will damage my diode ? :oops:

Last edited: