Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First LPM buying help.

Wow that's not a bad price, I think they lowered it since I last looked.

There is a small black square sensor that is attached to that heatsink, the laser dot must be all on that square, warning this is hard to see with safety glasses on, the first time I tried to use one I peeked over my glasses from about 2 feet away to see if I had it right, wasn't thinking about what I was doing, too close for a 1.5W, am more careful now.

Be sure to close all windows and turn off any fans heat etc. so the air is still, and nothing close to throw off the reading, even your hand close to it puts out enough heat, put the laser 4 to 8 inches from the sensor, otherwise just heat from the laser will make it inaccurate.

Alan

Hello Alan,

I just want to clarify. It is perfectly safe to shine the laser(unfocused) onto the LPM head correct?

The one I bought is rated at up to 2W. This would mean shinning a 1.4W 4-8 inches away is safe??

-Alex

Hello Alan,

I just want to clarify. It is perfectly safe to shine the laser(unfocused) onto the LPM head correct?

The one I bought is rated at up to 2W. This would mean shinning a 1.4W 4-8 inches away is safe??

-Alex

Yes that's correct, 1.4W is fairly powerful though, at that power level I would be sure it's slightly unfocused so that the dot is close to the width of the sensor so you don't smoke the coating on the sensor. If you ever get smoke then turn off the laser immediately because you are damaging the black coating on the sensor.

Alan

Last edited:
Hello Alan,

-Alex

With my LaserBee 3.7W USB, the instructions listed the minimum beam diameter for the sensor so I just kept my 2+W larger than that by using a board and a caliper to set the size before lasing the sensor. They also said that my sensor was tested to 3.9 watts without damage so yours will probably be also safe beyond the listed rating. So if you don't go smaller than the listed beam diameter and above the listed power rating you should be fine.

With my LaserBee 3.7W USB, the instructions listed the minimum beam diameter for the sensor so I just kept my 2+W larger than that by using a board and a caliper to set the size before lasing the sensor. They also said that my sensor was tested to 3.9 watts without damage so yours will probably be also safe beyond the listed rating. So if you don't go smaller than the listed beam diameter and above the listed power rating you should be fine.

Ok....

For the 2W one it just says shine the unfocused laser. It's rated to 2W's so 100mW-2W should be fine unfocused right?

-Alex

Ok....

For the 2W one it just says shine the unfocused laser. It's rated to 2W's so 100mW-2W should be fine unfocused right?

-Alex

When you actually get it the instructions are more detailed than what was just said on their site. At least it was with mine. Yes you will be fine, just read through the info that comes with it. If I remember the minimum beam diameter for mine is 3mm so i just kept it 4mm with my 2W+ and there was no hint of smoke.

When you actually get it the instructions are more detailed than what was just said on their site. At least it was with mine. Yes you will be fine, just read through the info that comes with it. If I remember the minimum beam diameter for mine is 3mm so i just kept it 4mm with my 2W+ and there was no hint of smoke.

Awesome! Thank you kind folks :)

-Alex