Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First green laser...can't decide

S

SenKat

Go for the 45 ! More power is always better - with the 45, you are more likely to get slightly better than advertised, so it would be a better choice for later flexibility. I really do recommend the option with the case for the extra $20.00 though - I have not been able to locate those cases anywhere form any company, without having to pay for 750 of them to be made to my specifications. That is not an option I am willing to take, WAY too much investment. But - go for the link I sent oyu - I can assure you that you will like the hard case versus the soft cardboard one they normally come in.

mcfehn

You know, I've been thinking.  I've been so wrapped up in choosing a high power model that I totally forgot to ask whether the x45 can still be used as a regular pointer such as in the board room.

mcfehn

By the way SenKat, I totally know where you are coming from on the whole carrying case issue. When the time comes...I think I WILL go with that option afterall. Thanks for the advice.

S

SenKat

mcfehn said:
You know, I've been thinking.  I've been so wrapped up in choosing a high power model that I totally forgot to ask whether the x45 can still be used as a regular pointer such as in the board room.

I would advise against using anything over 5mw for a presentation. The dot/beam is VERY bright - and nobody will pay attention to the presentation any longer - they will be focused on the pointer instead.

Glad to be here - what a great resource.

This thread has answered a lot of my questions.  Looking to get a full duty cycle 100mw or so green beam, such as The DL Hulk - like the C battery size as well as the price.  The hulk seems to have less than the legal requirements for safety interlocks - is that true, and how important are those?  Had one of those 10 million candlepower flash lights that got unknowingly switched on when packed in the trunk.  Never did figure what that smell was 'til I unpacked.  Wouldn't want that to happen with one of these high power lasers in my trousers. . . ..

Just how dangerous is momentary reflection with these things - such as lasing reflective street signs, or lighting up rivers & lakes?  Or if it should happen to sweep a distant face?  

Any divers here that have tried a high power under water?  Read something somewhere that claimed 5,000 ft visibiliy in water.  Ha!  Wondering if the scatter might be blinding.

Any burners here . . .Burning Man that is?  Got some maybe great ideas for that.

Bought a little red hand held pattern generator for $15 at coolneon that is pretty amazing for it's price.  

Mainly wondering about safety issues like brief reflections. Yes, I will get goggles for benchwork.

Thanks for being here!

S

SenKat

Definitely goggles for close up work - and stray reflections at this power level can do some serious damage. When usinga laser of that power level, I certainly would advise using the goggles. As far as underwater visabiltiy - I would want to make sure it was REALLY waterproof before dunking it in the tank !

mcfehn

After a week's wait...my x45 from Nova arrived on Monday. I was more than impressed. Peak power is 59.8 with an average output of 56.2. I haven't had time do any experimenting yet but I hope to in the next few days. Any suggestions as to some cool stuff I can try? Also, I have a feeling I may be upgrading a lot sooner than I thought.

P

Placebo

When you are trying to burn things, don't hold the laser too close, you don't want smoke, sulfer, or any other crap contaminating the lens.

mcfehn said:
After a week's wait...my x45 from Nova arrived on Monday.  I was more than impressed.  Peak power is 59.8 with an average output of 56.2.  I haven't had time do any experimenting yet but I hope to in the next few days.  Any suggestions as to some cool stuff I can try?  Also, I have a feeling I may be upgrading a lot sooner than I thought.
You should easily be able to pop baloons a cut through trash bags, but I think you just might be in the range of lighting matches with a lens.

I would go with Deal Extremes either 50 mW laser or their 30 mW laser because they are true power very bright and good bang for your buck and would be good for what you are using it for.