Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First cheap green pointer

Over in Korea for work. Me and my coworkers just happened upon a decent hardware store looking for some tools and such. To our luck and surprise we managed to find clean room suits, for only 15,000 won!!! Less than $15.

Anyways while browsing around I found they had green laser pointers. Well I have wanted to get a decent one for a while now, but I figured this could give me some fun while traveling. Of course it is rated for only <10mW, but its a bit hard to look at for long. I know its green and so the eye is more sensative, but it is far brighter than my 5mW HeNe. When first fired after its been sitting it has a visible power step. The only complaint I have so far is that the battery housing is a bit too large for the 2xAAA batteries and so they rattle, and sometimes they dont have good contact and the beam is weak. No big deal, just shake it a bit. It cost 22,000 won, or about $20.

Here is a pic of it shining against the wall, about 3ft away. I tried taking a picture of the beam on a black surface, but the iPhone picks it up the same even though its not as bright by eye.

IMG_0142.jpg

Sorry, not sure why it posted twice.

Sure the price is not the best deal, but it is when you stumble upon one in Korea... and you live in the States.

Rob

Well you didn't over pay terribly much, same unit online is about $10 less or so. Seems like you may have got an overspec unit from your description.

And yeah, iPhone's don't pick laser beams to well, I've tried.

I got my <5 green off ebay. I typed in "green laser" organized by lowest price+shipping first, and hit the buy it now tab. Cheapest green laser on ebay cost me only $6 and I'm almost positive it is >5 on fresh batterys. I was surprised by how sturdy it is! Typical chinese laser pen style host. Hasn't failed me yet. ;)

Chinese factory and seller can produce and sell things at a unbelievable low price. some new ebayers from China just sell things while losing money for they want your feedbacks. that is all. $6 is below the cost limit really