Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Build advice

ZEOXEO

Hello all!

I've been interested in lasers for quite some time, and feel I know more about them than the lay person, but alas, I know nowhere near enough to start my first build without some assistance on parts and what it will take to complete my project, so I'm looking for some insight into what drivers, diodes, and other such Items I'll need to build my first pointer.

So, lets start off with what I would like to build, I want to build a rugged keychain laser that I can carry with me wherever I go. Ive got the host picked out, DQG SPY 10180 Titanium Alloy Flashlight with Trit_DQG Flashlight_Electronics Wholesale - Powered by ECShop it fits a little 10180 3.7v battery. I'd like to throw a red (or green if the diode is small enough) in and push somewhere from 15-50mW (15 for green, 30 for red preferably) out of it, something noticeably brighter than your average $5 laser pointer, but not something that would be much of a risk to eyes. I know that the battery life will be pretty short, but I'm ok with that.

Now, my questions start, this is where I'll need help. I'll need a diode, a driver, and a heat sync. The driver will have to be pretty small, not sure of the exact internal dimensions of the light. And I'll need a diode. These I'm assuming will be the easy part. But the heat sync may not be so easy since the host is so small. Will I need to get something custom made? If so, who would I go about asking around the forum to commission such a part?

Thanks for any help guys! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

XD001

Those 520nm diodes look nice. Can I pump only 20mW with this diode? https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/pl520-520nm-laser-diode

Sorry I honestly don't know.. I am just building my first laser now, I pulled the red wire out of the module.. So I sent it back to DTR, he fixed it, the driver broke, so total repair cost was only $27+$3 priority shipping.. Anyways, yeah I just started my first build, too but ask DTR he will most likely be able to help you best.

Last edited: