Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First 405 and LOST!!!

hey guys, so i'm still the newbie when it comes to the 405nm stuff and picked up a groove 2, PHR-805t and had some ultrafire TR10440 3.6v AAA batteries. I used a dummy load and set the driver to 120mA for the PHR-805t and have tried a combination of two and three batteries. I even tried using 1N4001's to lower the voltage when using three batteries to avoid damaging the driver. Anyways i cannot get this diode to work properly, it is dim all the time. I don't think it's the "dead" dim just seems like its not getting enough power or something. Yes i charged the batteries lol and i have tried searching about the groove to but don't really understand how this thing completely works. I checked the voltage going out of the driver straight to the diode and measured a steady 4.9v-5.1v. From what i understand, 405s need ~7v to work properly?? So any ideas why its not working right?

thanks for the help!

did you discharge the cap beforehooking the diode up? sounds like the diode is fried honestly..

that 405nm diode only needs 4.5v dont try giving it 7v. I have never heard of grove 2 driver but after some quick research seeing it has a vdrop of 1.2v+405nm diode 4.5v=5.7v you would only need 2 of those batteries, you could use 3 batteries as this driver supports up to 12v, but why waste voltage.

If you can, a picture of the laser dot may help because when you say dim, well 405nm doesn't appear that bright anyway as its uv spectrum

I was hoping you wasn't going to say fried lol. I did discharge the cap by shorting the +/- on the driver. Dim to the point if i try to focus on the wall about 30ft away i can't see it. Tried 2 and 3 but didn't see any difference. Still think it's fried?? thanks guys

Pictures would be nice. I fried my 405 and it looks like a dim purple and white LED. It's kind of weird, I don't think white should be produced out of it.

Kevlar

Could of been good ol' ESD that fried it. Those diodes are pretty sensitive