Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Finished build.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!! It seems like there is a higher than normal resistance. And it's definitely not boosting. Time to weigh my options.
c
*UPDATE*

I jumped the diode off a cheap 405nm boost drive I've had sitting in my tool box forever now, and my 445nm sprung to life!! That is AWESOME news!! I think the problem is I fried the caps for the boost. I am not 100% sure, but I'm actually enjoying the process of trouble shooting this thing. Thank you ApexProxy for offering to help and thanks to TheDukeAnumber1 for the advice. If it comes down to it I can always order another boost drive from DTR, But for now I'm determined to figure this out!

*UPDATE*

So I don't know if anybody's following this.. Anyways, I think the driver is beyond my repair. The components are just to small for me to remove or replace. I think the problem is there is a tiny integrated circuit that I believe is meant to turn the coil on and off rapidly to boost the current. I tried to remove the component from another boost it's to friggin difficult. The laser seems to work fine at 4.7 volts, but the driver is only rated for 4.2 volts. I'm worried for my diode so I think the next step is to order another driver. Anyways is was fun figuring this thing out and I now have a better understanding of how these drivers work :)

Last edited:
ITS ALIVE!!! With some help from DTR and AnthoT I was able to sort out the problem. It goes to show that being stubborn and impatient sometimes can pay off. I had to remove the IC chip from an old FlexDrive and use it to replace the one on the 445 driver. It was painstaking and took the better part of 2hours to do, but it worked! I'm going to solder in a diode on the positive lead to avoid this happening again, then im taking a break cuz my friggin eyes hurt from squinting at these tiny little solder joints.

Grats! That's gotta be a great feeling. I'm gonna troubleshoot my 9mm build this week, I only hope it goes as well as yours.

Grats on the successful repair man. I hear about people having issues all the time but few people have the patience to keep at it. Successfully repairing something and having it work again just may be one of the best feelings of accomplishment.

Thanks guys! Ya it's a pretty good feeling. It gives reassurance that not every mistake is catastrophic!

DrSid

Reminds me when I twisted off both diode wires on my first 50mW green .. there was like 0.5mm of the wire left .. and I managed to solder extensions to it, and it works to this day ..

But there was one guy here who killed 445nm diode .. burning the tiny wires inside the diode which connect the chip itself to the electrode. And he managed to solder THAT together and the diode worked (not sure for how long).

Hey .. I even found teh thread ..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/really-tough-445nm-burned-fixed-62313.html

Last edited: