Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Finally got myself a spectrometer!

mwang

Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I posted anything here.

I started collecting lasers back in 2013. Recently got back into this hobby. I've always wanted a spectrometer. I finally saved up enough to justify pulling the trigger, and a week or so ago, I saw this gem on ebay. Ended up picking it up for $1500 + shipping.

IMG_3602 (1).jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

Some very quick specs:
3648 pixels: Toshiba TCD1304AP detector
HC-1 grating
Good wavelength response all the way from 200-1100 nm!
Was bought new in June, 2019
OceanView license included!

~0.5nm FWHM (verified with my 594.1nm HeNe, see spectrum below, measured maximum at 594.017nm)
594nm.PNG

Here's a cool spectrum of a Hg germicidal lamp (bulb is Osram G11T5):
1588982096386.png

When I got it, the wavelengths were ~0.5-1nm off. I did a quick wavelength calibration, and now this thing is extremely accurate! Wavelength measurements are all plus/minus 1 pixel.

Great response even out in the extremes. I measured a tungsten lamp and got a beautiful blackbody spectrum centered at ~700nm. Forgot to save it though.

Only downside (if you can call it that) is that I'll need to get some optical fibers and probes etc. for a better setup. But its usable for light source measurements as it is, with diffuse scattering off of paper or wood (multiple bounces if necessary). It seems to like a decently large signal.

If anyone ever needs help measuring a laser, let me know! :)

The HR4000 is the spectrometer I plan on getting next as it has double the pixels that my USB2000 has. When you buy a fiber optic cable, get one from Ocean Optics. That is what I did and have never had a problem with it.

Encap

Nice real deal spectrometer find at great price for an almost new/ 11 month old unit.(y)
Those HR400oCGs are like $6500.00 new

Good luck with it.

Last edited: