Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Finally a working multi-line argon - YES!!!

Here's the final chapter on this long, frustrating saga of my Ebay purchase of a multi-line argon laser - A few weeks ago I had won an auction for a multi-line argon (actually I got outbid but I got a second chance offer from the seller, Heuurersciences). Well, when I got that laser, everything that could go wrong did - a non-working fan and a laser that would only idle and not power up all the way.

Then there was my shop-vac cooling attempt, which worked in the short term but sadly I still couldn't get that laser to power up, despite tech support from Chris. So, I had to pack up the whole lot and return it. Well, the fan was bad - totally fried before I had gotten it. The laser, however, was like what happens when your car makes a weird noise and when the mechanic is driving it the noise is never heard! The laser worked for Chris, but not for me :-? I think it might have been that I didn't let it run long enough to fully warm up....was afraid to do that w/o proper cooling.

But anyway, Chris offered me a different argon - this a JDS Uniphase with a control panel on the power supply - and another fan. That arrived a couple days ago, and I set it all up last night - the fan worked well but to my horror the laser wouldn't power up at all! I thought for sure the curse of the non-working multi-line argon had come back again....but then I got an idea to switch out the 110v power cord with an identical one that I borrowed from one of my other lasers. Thankfully all it was was a bad cord and not a bad laser! Chris packs well so I couldn't imagine that it had gotten damaged in shipping.

So all I need is another cord so I don't have to share between two lasers (might want to run them both at the same time, you never know). I took some pictures tonight - not the best quality because I didn't have time to adequately fill my garage with fog.

The control panel (turns out this power setting was too high as it cut out on me after a few minutes!):
d43.jpg

The beam:
8f4.jpg

cd6.jpg

I swear I feared I'd never get a good working multi-line argon as everything that could go bad on this deal did (though Chris did provide good tech support the whole time)....but I'm overjoyed that I finally have the laser I've been wanting for some time!

Fantastic! I opted to build my own controller. Mine only has light/current switch, on/off switch, and power adjust though. Have you measured the output? is it a tube or box style head?

Excellent! That controller looks great. I really want to find the original remote for mine. I have the cable and I am in the process of making my own, but it would be really cool to have the original-looking one like yours!